Splitter length marker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

When I cut into lengths, I'm pretty consistent hitting around 18", however, when some friend's want to join in the fun, lengths can hit 21". Does anybody here mark their splitter beam for the longer pieces to be recut if need be?

Thought about it. Have the same problem. ;lol

Mark would have to be stamped or engraved to be permanent. The wedge would just about anything else off in short order.

Reactions: WellSeasoned
Maybe something marked on the outer part of the beam. This is something I'll do, then post pics:)

dril al tiny 1/8 inch hole at 18 and use that as the reference.

I just used a permanent marker, it works well and stays on the outside where the logs don't touch it. Just reapply after it wears out

The distance from my splitters bottom plate to the log holder bracket is 18". Eyeball it works for me.

My short stroke mod doesn't let overlength wood fit.

My log lift is 18" wide by design. If it doesnt fit on the lift, it doesnt fit the stove. I have been known to cheat a bit and split stuff that overhangs an inch or two because it will still fit crossways.

You might have already posted about it but I don't remember. I was going to use some aluminum spacers they sell for the purpose, but I never did. Could you please explain how you did your spacer?

You might have already posted about it but I don't remember. I was going to use some aluminum spacers they sell for the purpose, but I never did. Could you please explain how you did your spacer?

Reactions: velvetfoot
When I cut into lengths, I'm pretty consistent hitting around 18", however, when some friend's want to join in the fun, lengths can hit 21". Does anybody here mark their splitter beam for the longer pieces to be recut if need be?
Yep, mine is marked from 14 in. to 18 in. I have 2 stoves. One takes up to 18 in. and the other up to 16 in. So when I throw it on the splitter, and it doesn't fit, I through it off to the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.