Splitter or chainsaw first?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyD

Minister of Fire
Jun 15, 2008
South Jersey
Hi all, I'm a new wood burner just getting started. I have a Napoleon 1100c on order to be installed in a couple of weeks and I've already started hording firewood. So far I picked up a little more then a half cord of cherry from Craig's list and just got off the phone with another guy that has about 2 cords of oak cut up in his yard that I'm going to start hauling out tomorrow. Besides that I had 1 cord of split and seasoned red and white oak delivered last week for $140 so I think I'm off to a good start :) Like the title suggests I'm trying to decide if I need a newer chainsaw, right now I have a 20+ year old Homelite SXL that needs some work and weighs slightly less then a ton. Or invest in a splitter and keep looking for the free stuff that someone else already cut up.

Right now I kind of enjoy splitting wood but I can see where it might get old or time may become an issue. Knowing myself, eventually I will buy all the right toys but I just wanted to get thoughts from folks who have been in the position I'm in and what you would do knowing what you now know.

chainsaw is a necessity. splitter is a luxury.

hope that helps

If you buy the splitter 1st your old saw will most likey die 2 days latter. Buy a new saw and maybe a cheap elec spliter then step up when you have the $s

Always easier to split with a maul than to cut up a tree with a saw that isn't running.

A good chainsaw first as was already mentioned you can always split by hand. And from what I've gathered here down in NJ you'll burn 4 cords maybe 5 so that is imo doable if you're in reasonably good health.

The saw needs to come first. A saw can split wood, if need be. A splitter...not so good at cutting stuff up to a size small enough to toss in your truck or trailer...

New saw for sure. Cant cut wood with a log splitter but you can split wood with a maul or even some cases with just an axe

Saw first. Load up on all the free wood you can (3-5 cord or more) and rent a splitter for a weekend. It's cost effective and you can see how you like the brand you rented for possible future purchase.. You can also buy a splitter with a friend, both pay half.
I just bought a saw- NEW Makita DCS6401 off of Ebay for $382 shipped. 4.7 hp and 20"bar and really love it. Choose the right saw for yourself and it will be money well spent.

Thanks to all for taking time to reply to my question.

Well as luck would have it my buddy told me there was an old homemade splitter on the in-laws farm that didn't work right. We went to look at it tonight and his brother in-law said it wasn't working right and needed a bigger motor. Long story short I took it home, put some gas in it. Fired it up on the second pull put a log in and heard a bunch of squealing when trying to split. Shut it down, tightened the belt and tonight it was cutting through some free white oak like butter.

Man some days you eat the bear ;)

Now a new chain saw is in the works.

Now you have answered your own question. The found splitter was very lucky on your part and now you will have both a splitter and a new saw. Things usually work out with a litte effort and ingenuity.

Nice deal...Free is always good. Already have the saw looking to buy a splitter in the next two days myself. Trying to decide on which one...Good luck and happy wood searching!

Agree with all, saw firts then splitter. This is my second year on burning and I do not have a splitter. If I find that I have a piece that is too tough for maul (takes more than 4 swings to start the split) I put the piece aside for splitting when I rent a splitter.

Good score on the splitter and that was the big ticket item too.

Status
Not open for further replies.