Splitter power input

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
I am gonna get an electric (maybe) just to save $$.

Would you get the 4 ton for $300 or I can get a 5 ton for the same price.

Or I see an 8 ton gas for $600

is the extra 3 or 4 tons worth the extra $?

I mean do you think those are REAL power measurements?

thanks

I have the 5 ton task force and it has surprised me with what it will split. I have split up to 2' rounds with it, but have had smaller rounds stop it cold. I don't think it would survive long as your only splitter. I basically use mine to split big splits into smaller ones for fire starting or rekindling in the morning.

Sure they are real. It is easy to calculate either way. area of piston in square inches times p.s.i. divided by 2000 gives force it tons. If it is a screw press it is more complicated. The extra tonnage will enable you to split larger logs, but the gas engine will likely give you faster cycle time. I personaly like the idea of electric, it is quiet, reliable, and you don't run out of gas. I wouldn't take a chance of buying any of them, without talking to a happy owner first.

Another happy Task Force user. Don't scrimp on the power extension cord - use 12 guage, nothing less. It makes a big difference.

No votes for the 8 tons gas splitter??

thanks to all that replied so far.

Don't know much about the 8 ton gas splitter. Who makes it? Who sells it? What size engine and cylinder does it have?
I own a 20 ton gas splitter and have no complaints, but I recall a small gas splitter my brother owned in the early 80's that he sold off because he could split by hand a lot faster.

It will depend some on how much and what type of wood you plan to process. If you're looking for a cord or two of oak or maple per year...that stuff practically falls apart - you could probably get by with something on the small end of the scale. If you want 3, 4, 5 or more cords of elm or some other knotty, twisty, hard to split wood, you might as well get something on the large end or you will be cussing all the time and heartache you spend with an under powered splitter.

It's also been my observation that the splitter power curve is really logarithmic - that is a 5 ton splitter will probably split 90-95% of your wood - maybe more if you cut it carefully to begin with. A 10 ton splitter may do 95-98%, 15 tons will do 99%, 30 tons may do 99.5%. But getting a lot bigger splitter doesn't get you a lot more split wood - just insures that you can take on those few very hard to split pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.