splitter problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohio woodburner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
NW Ohio
Ok so here we go. When it comes to hydraulics I'm not much help. I have an old john deere hydro splitter, i think it a model 35 that my FIL revamped and put on a trailer with a different oil reservoir about ten years ago. When he passed away i got it. I used it for about two winters and it always seemed not have enough power. The engine blew on it this Jan. so i put a different engine on it and still lacks the power. A friend of mine told me to put a larger cylinder on it. Well before i spend money on a new cylinder i wanted to pick some brains to see if that would help. It has a what i'm thinking a 11 gpm hydro pump. The cylinder measures 3 3/4 OD. I'm thinking it might help but not sure that it isn't the pump or the valves. Any way to test any of these?

Attachments

• splitter.jpg
    splitter.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 276
The first thing I would check is to install a pressure gauge and see how many PSI the pump is putting out. Then you need to find the piston dia ( not cyl OD) of the cylinder. This should give you an idea of how the splitter is working.

Few things to consider:
A larger cylinder will result in slower cycle time but will have more splitting force,

Look at the specs on some log splitters, compare to what you have & size the cylinder to the engine & pump gpm & cycle time accordingly.

May just be the pump getting old & worn. A small engine shop or hydraulic shop may be able to test it for a few $. You need high pressure gages to test it, & the shops would/should have them.
I'm guessing but you probably have a 3" piston with the 3-3/4" cylinder you described.

log splitter parts: http://stores.daltonhydraulic.com/-strse-Logsplitter-Parts/Categories.bok

If you need more HP, I've heard the Greyhound is OK, it is a Honda clone & pretty cheap.
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=engine&Submit=Go

Status
Not open for further replies.