Splitter question, link between valve and handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dill

Feeling the Heat
Oct 14, 2008
Northwood NH
I have a 3pth hitch splitter, not sure of the brand off the top of my head, its the brand that Northern Hydraulic sells.
Anyway the link bewtween the valve and the handle is a metal reverse C shaped pin, held in place with cotter pins.
It broke this weekend and I haven't come up with a good replacment part yet. The local saw shop deals in American Hydrualic splitters, and gave me a link, thats more of dog bone shape, unfortunatly it doesn't fit over the valve end.
Any ideas? Things that work better than the orginal.

Splitters tend to use fairly generic parts, and I think Northern uses a Prince valve... Do you have a hydraulic shop near you? I'd take whatever remains you have, and bring it with you to a shop and see what they can match up... Otherwise it's going to be pretty much of an improvisation thing unless you can get either some specs or a new part from Northern. - they may have a manual on line, I know when a friend got a replacement valve for his splitter it came with a very complete manual and parts list...

Alternatively see if you can get any numbers off the valve and look it up on the Prince website (whatever that might be...)

Gooserider

Thanks I'll check the prince site. I just bent up a quick link and its working just not perfect.

Dill as long as the casting that holds the pin is still intact I would think you could find something in your garage that would be a good substitute. Mine originally had one of those rolled pins that secured the lever, when that broke I jury rigged with a nail then later replaced that with a quick connecter pin. Can you post a picture? Something like that shouldn't be a show stopper for production...it's almost a normal wear and tear thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.