Splitter Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scfa99

Bit of a noob question but one that I can't get a straight answer out of TSC. I have a 22 ton huskee splitter. Is the proper way to check oil level when the engine is cold or hot? Because there is a big difference when I check it both hot and cold.

engine or hydr tank? and how much does it change? should ot be much difference.

Engine oil: might be some drain down time, so check that after it is shut off a couple minutes.

hdyr, not that fussy either. as much as you can have in the tank without losing the ncessary air space. Don't want it coming out the breather, but otherwise, plenty is better. on teh low end, need it way above the suction point. So, if it holds 5 gallons, couple quarts low is no big deal. Even a gallon low probablly ok. also better to let if run low until you get home, rather than adding some mixed types of oils, say if someonw borrowed it.

Should not expand much as it heats up, if it is just thermal. Of more interest to me is if it is getting aerated and increasing in volume. That indicates a suction hose leak. not good, can damage the pump.

sorry engine oil. it basically indicates I need to add oil when i check it cold. when I check it while warm it says its fine. I'm worried because the guys TSC said if you add too much you could damage the motor but I got 2 different answers from them on when to check it. its a regular briggs motor, 6.5 hp.

yes, too much can get whipped up by crank, then no lube.
just ask a freind of mine. Her son added oil, overfilled, and destroyed his car engine. duh, never thinking there was a dipstick. Actually in that situation, I think two dipsticks. One pulling on the other one.....

I don't know the engine. Is it to be checked with plug screwd back in, or just set back in and resting on the threads?
Single cylinder engines can't have an open breather as the piston going up and down is not matched in volume by another one going the other way. The crankcase pressure goes high, then low. There is probably a breather, timed to the cam shaft. If that is bad there could be pressure build up in the crankcase pushing the oil level up higher in the checking port. Thats a long shot. But I think something to do with heating the air in the crancase volume is affecting here. Maybe it is already too full? There is usually a slot in the fill port threads so the crancase can vent air as you pour in oil....

apparently the dealer lack of knowledge is matched only by their bad attitude. Be aggressive with the dealer or store. Make them ppoint out to you where in the manual and how to do it. Call briggs, whatever you need to do. There is likely less than a quart in there, and it won't be warranty if they claim wrong oil level.......

Oil level, good question. Make sure you have the right oil in the motor, and add the right oil.
I have a number of small engines and I aways check the oil when the motor is cold. And add if necessary.
When you change the oil you put in cold oil and always fill it back up to the full line.
Some manuals will tell you how much oil the motor will hold. When you change the oil only put back in the amount that the manual tells you. Now look and see if the oil level is full.
Marcuswayne

Status
Not open for further replies.