1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

splitter rebuild questions

Post in 'The Gear' started by Bugboy, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bugboy

Bugboy New Member

Loc:
    north-central Kansas
    I'm in the process of re-doing a homebuilt splitter. 5hp B&S;, 11gpm 2 stage, etc. My question is the supply line - can I use some galvanized pipe (since it is not under pressure) or what kind of supply line would work best?

I'm in a rural area and there isn't a lot of options at the local farm stores.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. woodconvert

woodconvert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fenton Michigan
    You should be able to use a oil resistant rubber return line. You can have those made to your specs. If you don't have a TSC, try a tractor dealer/repair shop. Farmers go through lots of em'.

or

Do as you say and use rigid but it's easier to stuff the fittings you need into a hose and crimp them. Actually...now that I think of it...on my speeco they are pipe thread x hose barb fittings with worm drive hose clamps. If you can't find the fittings you need try McMaster Carr. They have the hose too. They deliver in a day if you get your order in before 3:00.
  3. kevin j

kevin j Minister of Fire

Loc:
    minnesota us
    rubber hose for sure! vibration isolation, misalignment, loads on pump and tank, etc.

Suction hose is differeent then regular pressure side hose. It has a spiral wire inside the rubber to keep from collpasing on vaccuum situations.

The cheap splitters come with clear vinyl and it heats, gets stiff, then collapses under startup. I've changed several.

Ask at dump truck/snowplow/garbage truck place, even some NAPA stores have regular hydr suction hose

k
  4. woodconvert

woodconvert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fenton Michigan
    Yeah, forgot that. Has to be wire reinforced. If you can't get it local McMaster Carr will have it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.