1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Splitter Recomendation - Huskee/Speeco

Post in 'The Gear' started by fabsroman, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Agreed - and they are a gawd send when mocking stuff up. Pull trigger - zap - part stuck in place. Its the hot glue gun of steel.==c
    MasterMech likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

I use the little MM140 at work to tack up parts before hittin' 'em with the TIG. >>
    Jags likes this.
  3. fabsroman

fabsroman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    Oh, this is going to be fun. There is going to be plenty to read on welders and welding. After that, plenty more to read on how to build a splitter. Going to be some fun stuff. I like learning about new things. Thanks for the links guys. I actually already knew about the Lincoln one, but had no idea about the other or the book. It is going to be a fun spring/summer.
  4. missedbass

missedbass Member

Loc:
    long island
    troy built 27 ton from lowe's works fine for me, just have to run it dry the ethenol is rough on the honda engine
  5. fabsroman

Loc:
    What do you mean by "run it dry"? Does that mean you run it until there is no more gas in it? All my Stihl tool manuals and my John Deere zero turn manual recommend keeping them completely full with fuel all the time to prevent condensation in the fuel tanks. I usually keep them full even when I am not going to use them for months.
  6. missedbass

missedbass Member

Loc:
    long island
    I close the valve in the fuel line and let it run to empty the fuel bowl and carb.
    Fifelaker and MasterMech like this.
  7. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I did the furnace install on my house too, did it mainly for use of the A/C and actually haven't run it at all for heat. Im too stubborn to break down and turn on the furnace. Even if I have to push myself and run stove at peak performance when it gets really cold.
  8. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Tanks full of stabilized fuel, carburetors empty/dry is best for seasonal storage. Tanks completely empty is good too, especially for long-term storage, but removing fuel from the tank can be a hassle and isn't necessary for storage of less than 6 months.
  9. fabsroman

Loc:
    That makes sense. Don't think my dad's splitter has a fuel shut off valve. Might have to think about putting one in. Will have to check the mower and other small engine tools to see if they have them. Know the chainsaws don't, but maybe the weed whacker does.
  10. fabsroman

Loc:
    No wood stove in the house. The furnace is a wood burning furnace with natural gas backup on a separate thermostat. So, had to install the furnace to have heat in the house. Have the a-coil and condensor ready to go for when the summer gets here. Just need to hire somebody to braze the coolant line and charge the system this spring.
  11. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Depending on the engine, you might be able to add an inline shut-off valve

http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-698183-Shut-Off-Selected/dp/B0038U3JKM
  12. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

For the handheld stuff, just dump the tank back into your mix can. 1/4" Shut off's are cheap (under $5 anywhere) and worth it. (For the splitter)