Splitter recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nic36 said:
If you have a friend that needs one too, you could both could split the cost of one (no pun intended) and share it. I guess you could build one too, but I would think parts and the trouble to do it would not make it that worthwhile. After taxes I paid just over $1000.00 for my Huskee 22 ton splitter. I don't know what they have up in Alaska, but that would be just $500.00 between the two of you.

Plus, a good splitter usually sells relatively well if you ever decide to get rid of it.

Good idea.
That's why I can't find one for sale used, the go quick on craigslist

bogydave said:
Nic36 said:
If you have a friend that needs one too, you could both could split the cost of one (no pun intended) and share it. I guess you could build one too, but I would think parts and the trouble to do it would not make it that worthwhile. After taxes I paid just over $1000.00 for my Huskee 22 ton splitter. I don't know what they have up in Alaska, but that would be just $500.00 between the two of you.

Plus, a good splitter usually sells relatively well if you ever decide to get rid of it.

Good idea.
That's why I can't find one for sale used, the go quick on craigslist

Doubtful they'd even make it to craigslist. I built mine and I get offers for it a lot. If I were to sell it I would offer to friends first. It would be gone in no time.

Before I bought my Husky, I watched Craigslist like a hawk and went to a couple of auctions that listed splitters, with no success. The used stuff was either priced way too high (within a couple of hundred of a new one) or they were total hunks of junk that the owners still wanted big bucks for. I eventually said "screw it" and bought a new Husky (warranty and all) and couldn't be happier.

Catch one on sale at TSC and call it good and get to splitting (don't forget the ebay splitter table either).

Werm said:
I have and would highly recommend a Cub Cadet (MTD) 27 ton w/ Honda engine the 27ton may be a bit overkill however, better to have more than you need as opposed to lacking.

The Honda is bullet proof and I have only been skunked by a large cherry knot. I regularly split 24-36" oak, maple and ash rounds with ease.

Bought at Home Cheapot on sale (and tax free) for $1100

......Just my .02

I have the same splitter and nothing stops it. Starts great on the first or second pull.

Tonage is a way to rate splitters but its sort of arbitrary. Most "manufacturers" are optomistic in their estimates. A better way to quickly compare machines is the diameter of the cylinder. Basically in this case your choice will be 4" (20~25 ton) 4.5" (22`27 ton) and 5" (generally rated at 28 ton or above). I'm not saying those tonnage estimates are accurate, only that those are the general ranges the makers will claim for their machines.

It sounds to me like you're looking for one with a 4.5" diameter cylinder. It might be called 25 ton or 27 ton, but it doesn't matter its power will be the same. An engine of about 6.5hp or more will do just fine. I'm a fan of Honda's but my own splitter has a big Briggs and Straton and I am perfectly pleased with it, starts on the first pull every time.

Thanks for the recommendations and experiences! Seeing as the nearest Home Depot is a good 20 miles away, Lowe's quite a bit farther, but we have a Tractor Supply just two towns over, I decided to look at the Huskee 22 ton. It looked good, and the reviews here and elsewhere seemed quite good, plus the sale ($999) was a nice touch. I'd never been at a TS (this one opened about a year ago) and gotta say, my boys (3 & 5) were in Disneyland. What a great place! A little tricky buying equipment (new clerk) but she figured it out eventually. Staff helped me hitch it to my Subaru and we were off to stash it at a neighbor's house. I'll pick it up Christmas eve with the tractor (hmm, have to figure out that one) and haul it to our east field for Friday morning's surprise. I can hardly wait - keeping the kids quiet about it has been a challenge as they are so excited though I wouldn't tell them what that big piece of equipment is for. They just know how much Daddy likes big equipment (and they do too).

I also like the idea of having a repair/supply site right around the corner from us, and can't say as I've had great experiences at the Orange Box when things go wrong. But that's another story. I'm sure hubby will be out on Saturday morning working on clearing some of our trees and testing out the new splitter.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas!

CountryMom27 said:
Thanks for the recommendations and experiences! Seeing as the nearest Home Depot is a good 20 miles away, Lowe's quite a bit farther, but we have a Tractor Supply just two towns over, I decided to look at the Huskee 22 ton. It looked good, and the reviews here and elsewhere seemed quite good, plus the sale ($999) was a nice touch. I'd never been at a TS (this one opened about a year ago) and gotta say, my boys (3 & 5) were in Disneyland. What a great place! A little tricky buying equipment (new clerk) but she figured it out eventually. Staff helped me hitch it to my Subaru and we were off to stash it at a neighbor's house. I'll pick it up Christmas eve with the tractor (hmm, have to figure out that one) and haul it to our east field for Friday morning's surprise. I can hardly wait - keeping the kids quiet about it has been a challenge as they are so excited though I wouldn't tell them what that big piece of equipment is for. They just know how much Daddy likes big equipment (and they do too).

I also like the idea of having a repair/supply site right around the corner from us, and can't say as I've had great experiences at the Orange Box when things go wrong. But that's another story. I'm sure hubby will be out on Saturday morning working on clearing some of our trees and testing out the new splitter.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas!

He is a lucky Man.................... Merry X-mass

CountryMom27 said:
Thanks - but I think I'm the lucky one :)

Huh, I think you should start a new thread this one ends a the stihl dealership!

That was his birthday gift about ten years ago (along with chainsaw lessons from a landscaping buddy and protective gear)! Got started with it all with a used John Deere on our first Christmas here. I'm hoping to set aside enough for a chipper or brush cutter next year! We have a 200 year old house on 5 1/2 acres and keeping up with it all plus keeping us stocked with wood is hard enough, but on top of 80+ hr work weeks, elderly parents, and our two little ones, he's got his hands full. This will be a big time-saver for him (and quite possibly me, depending on if I can run it safely with the boys milling about).

As an aside, I wanted my own small chainsaw for Mother's Day, mainly to deal with the small shoots and scrub trees, but was talked out of it for safety concerns (though I can handle equipment pretty well on my own). So a brush cutter would be a good compromise!

CountryMom27 said:
That was his birthday gift about ten years ago (along with chainsaw lessons from a landscaping buddy and protective gear)! Got started with it all with a used John Deere on our first Christmas here. I'm hoping to set aside enough for a chipper or brush cutter next year! We have a 200 year old house on 5 1/2 acres and keeping up with it all plus keeping us stocked with wood is hard enough, but on top of 80+ hr work weeks, elderly parents, and our two little ones, he's got his hands full. This will be a big time-saver for him (and quite possibly me, depending on if I can run it safely with the boys milling about).

As an aside, I wanted my own small chainsaw for Mother's Day, mainly to deal with the small shoots and scrub trees, but was talked out of it for safety concerns (though I can handle equipment pretty well on my own). So a brush cutter would be a good compromise!

I have the filling you could handle a saw just fine. pto chipper on the jd would be the way to go.

I also bought the 22 ton Huskee from TSC also this past spring. Great little machine! This machine will do just about anything required by a homeowner with your expected volume.

NOTE: I did have an issue with mine: I called and factory and they sent replacement parts with out asking me to confirm when I bought it nor did they ask for a serial number or anything like that. It was actually a pleseant "tech support' experience.

CountryMom27 said:
We burn about 4-5 cord a year and live on 5.5 acres in Northern CT - plenty of good wood around here to fuel our stoves, everything from ash, maple, birch, oak to cherry and other hardwoods. My husband is dreaming of a wood splitter (right now he does all of our splitting by hand) and I would like to oblige for his Christmas present.

I've budgeted about $1200-1500 for the splitter. I've seen a few posts about different splitters but for the money, what would you recommend? We don't have huge enormous logs but some big ones that having one that can go vertical or horizontal would be nice. Easy to maintain and reliable is another plus. We have a snowblower with a Briggs & Stratton engine that he likes, so I'm not overly keen on spending the extra for a Honda engine. And it needs to be something I can go and pick up with a ball hitch or rig to our tractor.

Thanks!

I would recommend an American CLS only because I have one, but whatever you buy may it last a life time.

zap

fishinpa said:
I also bought the 22 ton Huskee from TSC also this past spring. Great little machine! This machine will do just about anything required by a homeowner with your expected volume.

NOTE: I did have an issue with mine: I called and factory and they sent replacement parts with out asking me to confirm when I bought it nor did they ask for a serial number or anything like that. It was actually a pleseant "tech support' experience.

That's really great to hear - always nice to know that if there's an issue, you can get it resolved. Unlike my current issue with Hewlett Packard and my flailing printer.

If you get back to the machine before he gets it or if you can have someone do this for you just check two things. See that the hose clamps on one of the black hoses are tight and then with the machine level (and the cylinder withdrawn as it always should be when not in use) check the hydraulic fluid on the dipstick. From time to time one will slip out of the factory with a lose clamp and the hose will blow off causing the loss of a good bit of fluid, and also now and then they ship with the fluid a little bit low.

Where are you in NW CT? I grew up in that area, Lime Rock, Salisbury.

Kong said:
If you get back to the machine before he gets it or if you can have someone do this for you just check two things. See that the hose clamps on one of the black hoses are tight and then with the machine level (and the cylinder withdrawn as it always should be when not in use) check the hydraulic fluid on the dipstick. From time to time one will slip out of the factory with a lose clamp and the hose will blow off causing the loss of a good bit of fluid, and also now and then they ship with the fluid a little bit low.

Thanks - I will do that! A gift that doesn't start up or doesn't have the hydraulic fluid isn't much of a gift!

CountryMom27 said:
Kong said:

Thanks - I will do that! A gift that doesn't start up or doesn't have the hydraulic fluid isn't much of a gift!

The fluids is part of the sale there having right now so if its not full let them know..

CountryMom27 said:
fishinpa said:

That's really great to hear - always nice to know that if there's an issue, you can get it resolved. Unlike my current issue with Hewlett Packard and my flailing printer.

I am actually an HP savy printer tech. PM me your model number and issues. I'll try to remember to look for it over the next fwe days and try to help you out there too if I can.

I find it interesting that there is NO consensus of what brand/models of splitters are the best.

CountryMom . . . I think you made a good choice . . . a lot of folks here love the Speeco splitter and the 22 ton seems to be about right for most wood . . . in four days he is about to be a very, very happy man . . . but be forewarned . . . you may lose him for a few hours as he will probably be looking for some wood to split on Christmas day.

bogydave said:
Yeah I know, but I split 4 cords a few weeks ago with a borrowed splitter in 1/2 a day,
I cut 2 trees in my yard up & split with a maul, all day job for one retired guy. (1/3 of a cord)
I figure I could split 8 cords with a hydraulic splitter in a day, be a good day but doable.
Just have to round up the rounds, have it ready to go, get the family out there to shuck wood.

Don't get me wrong, I really want a good splitter, just no going to buy a junk one & be sorry later.
Got a buddy that says we can build one. May be the way to go. Need to check $ for parts & scrounge some steel.
I'll eventually have one but not over $1,000 dollar one.

;-)

Ok. You got me. How?

Status
Not open for further replies.