1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Splitter recommendation

Post in 'The Gear' started by mtcsottile, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJF1313

PJF1313 Member

Loc:
    Pine Barrons, L.I., NY
    "Spikem" didn't state how many offspring he has, and if it was a 24 hour day or a "work"day ! ;-)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. 'bert

'bert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East of the Rockies West of the Rest, North of 49
    CM27, any update on how the splitter was received by hubby? Have you had a chance to try it out?
  3. Singed Eyebrows

Singed Eyebrows New Member

Loc:
    Midwest
    Kong; If they were all honest that would be fine. I read a review on a Northern where the purchaser said he bought a splitter with a 5" cylinder & the cylinder was 5" OD. If true this is just dishonest in my book. Bore size is obviously all that matters, Randy
  4. Spikem

Spikem Member

Loc:
    Middleboro, MA, USA
    What is the different between 5" cylinder & the cylinder was 5" OD? I'm not doubting you, I just don't get it. Plus, as I'll be looking to get a splitter this year, and have pretty much settled on Northern, I'm really curious.
  5. Singed Eyebrows

Singed Eyebrows New Member

Loc:
    Midwest
    A 5" cylinder needs to be 5" ID not OD. The OD means nothing unless you know wall thickness. Northern has some nice splitters & I also might buy one, you can bet I'll be taking a tape measure with me if I do though as I won't buy a 5" cylinder that is 5" OD. Hope this helps some, Randy
  6. Spikem

Spikem Member

Loc:
    Middleboro, MA, USA
    Ok, so what is "ID versus "OD"?
  7. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    ID is inside diameter, OD is outside diameter. If you're measuring the outside diameter of the cylinder, it includes the thickness of the cylinder (where larger is not necessarily helping). With inside diameter, you're essentially measuring the size of the piston inside the cylinder, which is doing the work. Generally, the bigger the more power.
  8. Spikem

Spikem Member

Loc:
    Middleboro, MA, USA
    Thanks for dumbing this down so I can understand it! I definitely appreciate it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.