Splitter recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creekheat

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2014
Ny
I read a couple threads on here about splitters. This will be my first. Anyone ever heard of these rugged made 37 ton splitters? I went to the website and they seem pretty nice. But them again i dont know much about splitters lol this coming year will be my first year burning so i will be buying most split but i would like to do my own eventually. Thanks for any input on these as well as other brands. I will say i am more quality driven than cost.

Never heard until now. Looks robust, time will tell on quality. Do you really need such a powerful unit?

Watched a couple of their vids just in case there was a piece of wood that wasn't straight grained. Nope, all the wood is relatively straight.
One thing I think would be a good improvement would be to incorporate an "engine idle down" feature when the ram retracts fully. That way, you get a little break from the engine screaming at max rpm while the splitter is just waiting for your next action. Less noise, less fuel consumption. I have this feature on my North Star and enjoy it..it automatically revs up again when you forward the ram.
I also wonder it the slide in log lift and the slide in log catcher table could bend from use/abuse over time? Maybe they would be real hard to fit or remove from their positions??

Yeah, i figured the tonnage rating, which i dont think there is a standardization for, would be very subjective. It's like a "cord" "rick" no set rules so you have to be careful. I will say the unit does look robust. I doubt i woukd ver need tonnage, if its correct, like that. However it "looked" like a quality unit. Again i have never had one so thats why i was asking. I want a good high quality splitter for home use. 4-5 cord a year kinda thing. I'm willing to pay for it if it's legit. Any other units I should look at?

Catchy name- no different than all the rest- chicom. What it really boils down, to particularly if you are all thumbs mechanically, is the service/parts side of the purchase.

I have MTD / Troybilt 26 ton. It is fine but I'd have gone wit a22 ton but this 27 was less money on sale. The bigger units are just harder to move around by hand, especially off pavement. I'm pretty handy but I like to stick with manufacturers that have been around a while.

Good luck,
Mike

Bang for the buck the Speeco units from TSC are pretty solid. Sold as the Huskee brand there.

American splitters are pretty nice, I believe made in the USA.

If you split mostly stuff you can lift, check out the SuperSplit. They will split some wood in a hurry. But are horizontal only, so not good with big rounds. (It will split them, but you have to hoist them onto the beam)

I hadnt even thought of TSC/Huskee. I'll go look at them. The ad here says briggs engine. Do they come with diff engines sometimes? For less than a $1000 hard to beat

I hadnt even thought of TSC/Huskee. I'll go look at them. The ad here says briggs engine. Do they come with diff engines sometimes? For less than a $1000 hard to beat

If you get one from TSC, have them start and run it before you leave. Makes sure that whoever put them together did it right.....

Reactions: Creekheat
I would not be concerned with the briggs. Even if it does die after warranty it can be replaced with any motor you wish. The Chondas are getting rave reviews and @ less than a hundred. That said mine has 30 cords under its belt and has never missed a beat. Kohler's have had some bad press lately with the engines in welders. They have all cheapened up to make budget. Mine was started at TSC and ran fine, after a couple of hours run time I had to tighten up a hose but no biggie. The only thing I do not like is the tires and the 45mph speed limit. I don't know if I want to pull any of those short coupled little buggers much over that though. There is no backing one up with a truck so keep weight in mind.

Also if you go Speeco make sure they fill it with hydraulic fluid. When I bought mine and got home it was bone dry. I went back and told them about it and they replied that they do not come with fluid. I told them they could have it back in that case and they decided to give me the fluid so I could add it myself. All is well love the splitter.

I have a Huskee and am pleased with it. These days, I'd also consider Dirty Hand Tools as another good value at price points similar to SpeeCo/Huskee.

Also if you go Speeco make sure they fill it with hydraulic fluid. When I bought mine and got home it was bone dry. I went back and told them about it and they replied that they do not come with fluid. I told them they could have it back in that case and they decided to give me the fluid so I could add it myself. All is well love the splitter.
TSC has this splitter for $999 with free fluid.

Reactions: TreePointer
I have one of those before they were called rugged made. I bought mine 5 years ago. They have changed a lot since. The biggest issue I have had is mice chewing through the wires. 37 tons, I'm not sure. Everything I put in it has split. I have tried splitting the biggest and nastiest crotches I could find.

Status
Not open for further replies.