1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Splitter rental...please help rookie...

Post in 'The Gear' started by Ram 1500 with an axe..., May 13, 2013.

1. muncybob

muncybob Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Near Williamsport, PA
    The rental I did use had a side cradle...actually it had a small one on the loading side and a larger one the opposite side. The cradle is a real back saver! It was one of the first things I did when I bought a splitter. Also, if you have really big rounds you may want to be sure the splitter goes vertical too.
    Beer Belly likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Your so right. Try lifting a 30" 250LB round up onto a splitter. Some of my rounds i couldnt lift even after they were HALVED.!
  3. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

If you're gonna rent a splitter and have big rounds (hence why you're renting a splitter? ;) ) then I'd look HARD for a multi-wedge machine with a hydraulic log lift. And get to it! ::-)
  4. nate379

nate379 Guest

The place I get equipment from does that, but only allowed 8hrs on the machine..,,, or you end up with a $700 bill when you put almost 20 hours on an excavator. Whoops!

5. The place I rent equipment from used to have an excavator that would still run when you took the key out. Best part was the hour meter didn't keep running.
  6. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Had a tractor like that, once. Trouble was, the battery stopped charging when you took the key out.
  7. nate379

nate379 Guest

I was tempted to disconnect the hour meter but I'm too honest to do that and the company I rent from has certainly hooked me up enough times as well.

8. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

I've never rented a splitter but the one place I worked for that rented splitters, didn't have meters on the splitters. Actually, I haven't seen a splitter (not including processors here guys, :p) with a meter, other than mine that is. ;lol
  9. nate379

nate379 Guest

Mine does. :)

10. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Geez, guys.... don't most hour meters cost more than 10% of the price of the splitter they're renting out? Hardly seems worth it for them to install one.
  11. nate379

nate379 Guest

The one on my splitter was about $15.... on a $1800 splitter.
  12. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Whoa... where are you guys finding hour meters at that price? I've purchased them before, and recall them always being more than $100.