Splitter repower, diesel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cityboy172

Feeling the Heat
Feb 6, 2014
NW Indiana
I have an old splitter that my grandpa built 35? Years ago, and it needs repowered. I was originally thinking about using a 14 hp kawasaki engine out of one of my old lawn mowers, but stumbled across a 2 cylinder Kubota diesel last night for a reasonable price.

The Kubota is rated at about 13-14 hp, but should add gobs of torque, and go farther on a gallon of fuel. I plan on adding a log lift, 4 way, and redoing everything on the hydraulics, except the cylinder. Anyways, here's what I'm starting out with. Would the diesel motor be a good move?

I think the deisel would be a great thing as long as it gets the RPMs to turn the pump fast enough.

That splitter is set up for a 3 point power attachment from a tractor. That may increase the difficulty for re-powering the splitter.

I think you will need to include a "spider fitting" if there is not one there already.

Are you replacing the pump or not? A PTO pump that is 35 years old will probably be the 540 rpm version. That is low rpms even for a diesel. On the flip side, if you replace the pump with a typical 2 stage splitter pump the diesel may not climb to the peak RPM's of the new pump.

I have a few splitters under my belt and honestly it is pretty hard to go wrong with a standard two stage pump and the appropriate sized gasser to pull it (through a lovejoy connecting the two).

So what are your plans for the pump config?

I think the deisel would be a great thing as long as it gets the RPMs to turn the pump fast enough.

That splitter is set up for a 3 point power attachment from a tractor. That may increase the difficulty for re-powering the splitter.

I think you will need to include a "spider fitting" if there is not one there already.
I'm thinking about changing it to a 2 stage, maybe 28gpm pump. Back in the day it had a old Wisconsin motor and a gear box driving that pump. It sat for 20 years, and then this is how grandpa and a friend rebuilt it. It is nowhere near where it needs to be the way it is now. Cycle times are brutal.

Diesels really shine where constant torque is needed. A log splitter only needs torque briefly at the point of contact and the first initial split (probably 1 - 1.5 seconds of the total cycle time).
That doesn't mean that the diesel may not be more fuel efficient than a gasser simply by design. I would still be checking into the peak RPM that the diesel in question can produce. Governed at 1800 rpm will give you half volume of a gasser running at 3600 rpm, essentially reducing a 28gpm pump to a 14.

Reactions: kevin j
Diesels really shine where constant torque is needed. A log splitter only needs torque briefly at the point of contact and the first initial split (probably 1 - 1.5 seconds of the total cycle time).
That doesn't mean that the diesel may not be more fuel efficient than a gasser simply by design. I would still be checking into the peak RPM that the diesel in question can produce. Governed at 1800 rpm will give you half volume of a gasser running at 3600 rpm, essentially reducing a 28gpm pump to a 14.
Looks like the max rpm is listed at 3600, so should be good there. I honestly figure it will be at low rpms the majority of the time, or whatever it takes to make good cycle time.

I honestly figure it will be at low rpms the majority of the time, or whatever it takes to make good cycle time.

Very possible. I rarely run mine wide open throttle.

Looking at the picture you have a typical tractor hydro pump that is probably meant to spin at 540 rpm. That pump has a big sprocket on it being driven by a small sprocket so it is geared way down. All things point to a slow splitter.

The diesel engine will be way heavier than a gasser on that. It will be tougher to move. Plus you'll need a battery. The battery alone will probably weigh as much as the necessary gas engine.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
The weight on that splitter is already out of control. It's way over built. I'd probably build or buy another one before I cut this one up too bad. it sinks in my yard when I push it around. if you loose momentum it's all over.

Buy a tractor and call it a day. Lots of good old tractors to be had for the cost of a new splitter.

Looks like it will need a larger hydraulic tank. From the pic it looks too small especially if your going to pump 28gpm.
I assume you verified the condition of the cylinder? Looks like a 5"?

I've got a new one already, I think it's 25 or 30 gallons. I bought a lot of things already to start this project, just haven't started. Tryed to make it work with the old pump and a gas engine, but my guess is I didn't have enough hp to build pressure with the single stage pump. I have no info on the pump, but similar looking pumps say theu require 40+ hp.

Our big 2 way splitter has a single stage pump and ran off the tractor pto. Our pump is a vickers v20. It is a 13 gpm at 1200 rpm. We decided to put a gas eninge on to free up our tractor for loading blocks. We put an old 8hp briggs on it an put different sprockets on so the pump is running at 1200rpm when the engine is running at 3600. Our tractor is a 20hp kubota and we never ran the tractor at more than 1500rpm when splitting. The gas motor actually does good. I mean it wont split big ole knots without killing it, bit it suprise the heck out of us what it will split that 8hp and a single stage pump. So, that diesel engine your looking at would make an awesome power supply in my opinion. The biggest thing would be is figuring out a way the hook the engine and pump together. You can always use chain and sprockets to get the engine speed matched to pump speed. Remember, anything is possible. Its fun doing these kind of projects

I will get couple pic of our 2 way splitter on here hopefully tomorrow.

Reactions: cityboy172
I have a question for everyone that I have been trying to figure out for a long time. When people build a splitter, they make the splitting wedge staionary. Why? I think that creates more work becasuse you are constantly picking the block up. Im not wanting to stir up anything, im just curious why they build them that way

The biggest issue that I've seen in my little experience, is that is sucks when a piece is stuck on the wedge of the huskee that I borrow, where the wedge is on the cylinder. I also like that the wood pushes out of the way one with the wedge on the frame.

Reactions: duramaxman05
Unless you are going to split wood a couple times per week year-round I would skip the diesel. Diesel goes bad just like gasoline (faster, even) but the consequences of bad diesel are fuel/injector pump replacement which could cost more than the entire splitter, whereas the consequences of bad gas are a good carb cleaning.

This is our 2 way splitter. Its at least 35 to 40yrs old. It is a homemade one. Was originally a 3pt and we put an axle and a tongue on it years ago and just recently put a gas engine on it. We did another trial run with today and it works great.

Attachments

• 20141018_084455.jpg
    20141018_084455.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 277
Reactions: cityboy172
im just curious why they build them that way

A couple of reasons:
Pushing off of the end into a pile or into a trailer/wagon or elevator.
If a split gets away from you (and it will) it isn't dropping on your toes.
I have never seen a picture of the shuttle self destruct during the retract on a wedge on beam splitter. Wedge on ram I have seen a few because they are dragging a stuck log back with them and something jams up.

Only two reasons to have a moving wedge:
A double split, like yours, or a horizontal/vertical splitter. The horz/vert splitter HAS to, but not because it is a better design.

Look at virtually every commercial horizontal splitter on the market.... (I am sure there are one or two that don't follow this, but the vast majority do).

Status
Not open for further replies.