Splitter storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Got Wood

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
Dutchess Cty, NY
I have a Huskee 22 ton splitter. I have been using it frequently - a couple days a week. I have been leaving it outside covered with a tarp. I'm wondering about long term effect of keeping it outside in the elements covered like this? I could move it under my porch and tarp it but that would be a hassle moving it back and forth to my splitting area. How do you guys store your splitter?

Man, I hope that everyone chimes in with "under a tarp" 'cause I am in the same boat as you are.
Perhaps someone has a link to a good hi rise hitch for a craftsman type lawn tractor.

We've kept our 20+ yo American splitter outside with a tarp covering with no problems ...but I do use starting fluid to get it going when it cold... once it runs for awhile it good to start on its own all day.

My splitter sits outside most of the year. I cover the motor with a Little Tikes molded plastic swing that the youngest has outgrown and the valve with a bucket. Keep the cylinder all the way in. It goes under a roof before any significant snow starts.

I store mine in a canvas roundtop shelter. It only comes out to work and goes back in every night.

Mine was outside for 5 years before I bought it. It was high and dry and well wrapped with a good tarp. As said, keep the ram retracted!!! it will pit and rust.

Definitely keep the ram retracted, and if necessary (IOW if you have a leak) put a bungee cord or rope across it to make sure it stays retracted - Same goes for ANY hydraulic equipment, if at all possible keep the rams retracted when not in use. This protects the chrome plating from rust and pitting. Remember that if the plating gets damaged you will shortly eat the seals, and have a serious leaker that can't be repaired w/o replacing the rod.

Otherwise, while keeping it under cover of some sort is a good thing, a well designed unit should be reasonably resistant to rain and so forth. If you do cover it, make sure that you either use a breathable cover, or leave space at the bottom to let condensation escape.

My splitter lives outdoors if I'm using it a lot, but in the winter I shove it into our portable garage, as much to keep the "sticky fingers" away from it as to protect it from the weather...

Gooserider

i keep mine in the garage as there are alot of little kids around that cant keep there fingers off of anything! plus i dont trust my neighborhood. to many people lookin to have a goodtime and will take anything that is not nailed down to pawn off for that goodtime.

Mine sits out under a tarp most of the time when splitting season hits (which is all but the coldest months). I did just put it in the tractor shed today after splitting a face of oak. I oiled the bed and head, etc., beforehand. Not sure when I'll be back out there, so it just seemed like a good idea.
Pain though, when splitting every couple days, so I don't do it then.
Good tip on retracting the ram. Last thing I do before stopping the machine.

Dave

wildbillx8 said:
i keep mine in the garage as there are alot of little kids around that cant keep there fingers off of anything! plus i dont trust my neighborhood. to many people lookin to have a goodtime and will take anything that is not nailed down to pawn off for that goodtime.

Wildbill, where are you in MI. I'm near Atlanta (look for the little speck on the map), and although we have some breakins around here, I haven't had any problems .............yet. I'm around most of the time, so maybe that's keeping the sticky fingers away.

Dave

My wood processing area is out front by the road and so is too visible to leave anything there despite the mean groan running loose. I figure keep the splitter out of sight, out of mind. There are a lot of people that turn into my driveway and then back out. Dunno if it's the groan putting the run on them or they are just turning around but the ash hoes are always spinning their wheels and ripping up my drive.

I tow the splitter with the yard tractor which I park in the roundtop too, so I just leave it hitched up to take out next time.

I kept my splitters in side for years but now i have three units and they get run alot so they are lined up out by the wood . I cover them with a tarp and pull a trash bag over the motors . I need a wood shed for the house and will make a area for at least one splitter. John

I keep mine in the garage even though my neighbors are a very nice people, ten acres away and I live on the end of the street with no through traffic. On the other hand I've worked in corrections for sixteen years and seen a lot of more of thieves than anyone ever should. Probably way too wary of the human race than I need to be. Still don't lock the doors however, but value my own new 22 ton Huskee too much to take a chance on leaving it out and about.

Mike

My splitter is currently outside with a tarp over it . . . but as soon as my brother-in-law comes back up from CT to finish off the sled shed addition to my wood shed his snowmobile will be moving out of one of my sheds and the woodsplitter will go inside.

Mine has been kept outdoors since it was new. I oil up everything, throw a tarp over held with 3 bungees and then put the tires on some boards to get it off the ground. Close to 20 years now and no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.