Splitter trash per cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I now process all of my firewood in one 30x12 spot. In the last year since I last cleaned the splitter spot, I have processed somewhere between 25 and 30 cord. Last night I started to clean up the splitting spot and removed 4 bucket loads of splitter trash. I was surprised at the volume especially given that it is very well compacted and the stuff on the bottom had turned largely to dirt already. I never realized how much waste there was when I split in different spots on the lawn and cleaned up as I went.

Attachments

• 041711 splitter trash.jpg
    041711 splitter trash.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 465
  • 060211 splitter trash discard.jpg
    060211 splitter trash discard.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 466
Just about cleaned up and ready to start the cycle over again.

Attachments

• 060211 splitter terrace.jpg
    060211 splitter terrace.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 473
All the "trash" I accumulate goes into buckets and boxes and is stored in the garage as emergency use dry fuel. It comes in handy when we get hit with an unusual cold and wet spell.

If I cut wood, carry it, load it on my trailer, drive it home, unload it and then split it, you can be sure I'm going to burn it. Every bit!

lol I think the opportunity to burn that pile is long past.

Why "clean it up" ?

The 'mulch' would seem a good spot to stand and there would be less dirt on shoes to track into the house.

The beam on the splitter was getting too low ;-) It was a bit of a challenge to even get the splitter out of it. I built that terrace out of road base. I prefer to work on dry stone instead of a wet mess. I was starting to see bugs around it too. Not good as it is fairly close to the house.

That sceen bits, but been there done that.....It was pouring rain in that pic.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 422
I wish I could get away with that. There would be a fire truck and multiple members of law enforcement here within minutes of lighting it.

SolarAndWood said:
I wish I could get away with that. There would be a fire truck and multiple members of law enforcement here within minutes of lighting it.

Same here. They probably wouldn't say much when they saw who was doing the burning but I'd rather save those contacts for when I REALLY need them.

Splitter trash, unless it is gonna be kindling, ends up in the site of our future orchard.

I do the same thing with my splitter trash. It all gets tossed on the location of a future berm.

I burn the bigger stuff like Jay does and the other gets shoveled into the compost pile at some point.
I save it for a brown layer between green stuff. But I have not processed that much wood. that is some pile you have.

I've been putting that and bark that falls off into plastic trash cans and then burn it in the stove.
Trick is to put it in dry or find some way to let it dry, since the bottoms are solid (no holes).

Cascade Failure said:
Range berm?

Lol, no. Just road noise protection. We are on a corner lot 4 miles from downtown and traffic is only going to get worse as those farm fields keep turning into subdivisions.

mecreature said:
But I have not processed that much wood. that is some pile you have.

Thanks. That is what surprised me about the volume of splitter trash. I've never processed that much in one spot over the course of 12 months before.

SolarAndWood said:
Cascade Failure said:
Range berm?

Lol, no. Just road noise protection. We are on a corner lot 4 miles from downtown and traffic is only going to get worse as those farm fields keep turning into subdivisions.

Gunfire tends to drown out traffic. Just saying...

Cascade Failure said:
SolarAndWood said:

Same here. They probably wouldn't say much when they saw who was doing the burning but I'd rather save those contacts for when I REALLY need them.

Splitter trash, unless it is gonna be kindling, ends up in the site of our future orchard.

Couldn't you call it in as a controlled burn so they don't respond to emergency calls?

Or is controlled burning illegal?

Here it's fine, but some municipalities prefer that you call in your controlled burns so they don't waste resources responding to a fire that doesn't need their assistance. My dad learned that the hard way. They said to call it in no matter how large the fire is. So now he calls everything in, almost in a smartass fashion. He calls them if he lights a newspaper on fire with a match...

2. What are the regulations on open burning in New York State?

Effective on October 14, 2009, all open burning is prohibited in New York with several exceptions including the following:

Campfires less than 3 feet in height and 4 feet in length, width or diameter are allowed.
Small cooking fires are allowed.
Fires cannot be left unattended and must be fully extinguished.
Only charcoal or clean, dry, untreated or unpainted wood can be burned.
Ceremonial or celebratory bonfires are allowed.

In towns with a total population less than 20,000, you may burn tree limbs with attached leaves. The limbs must be less than 6 inches in diameter and 8 feet in length (also referred to as brush).

Solar, it is because you split horizontally that you get so much trash.... :bug:

lol Dennis, ya know I resisted the temptation earlier to say the reason I cleaned is the splitter was so darn low it reminded me of the dark ages crawlin around on the ground splittin vertical.

SolarAndWood said:
Ceremonial or celebratory bonfires are allowed.

I think if you stood by the fire with a cold beer in hand, and a cooler with more nearby, you could call it a celebration of the 30 cords you processed!

It's nice to have good neighbors, they all think I'm nuts! Damn!, it's 90 degees out and this guy has a fire going! That's how I get rid of the spiltter trash, followed by some nice cherry and put a porterhouse on the pit.

KC

SolarAndWood said:

When it gets real dry out they will put a no open fire in effect. Other than that I am about a mile out of the city limits.

SolarAndWood said:
I now process all of my firewood in one 30x12 spot. In the last year since I last cleaned the splitter spot, I have processed somewhere between 25 and 30 cord. Last night I started to clean up the splitting spot and removed 4 bucket loads of splitter trash. I was surprised at the volume especially given that it is very well compacted and the stuff on the bottom had turned largely to dirt already. I never realized how much waste there was when I split in different spots on the lawn and cleaned up as I went.

Solar do you ever use any of that dirt for your garden or lawn/

Zap

It is all going on the berm I am building up along the road. By the time I get the house done and turn to the landscaping, it should be ready for some trees to be planted in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.