Splitter with hydraulic log lifter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tymbee

Dec 2, 2011
Upstate NY
As I mentioned on the log tray thread, I have a tray on the splitter I use now. But the best option by far IMO was a splitter that I used to have that had a hydraulic log lifter. Virtually anything you could roll on could be easily be lifted up to split.

Even for the smaller stuff you could load up the tray with quite a few rounds which saved a lot of back & forth. Anyone else using one of these gizmos? I saw one at a local John Deere dealer-- pretty pricey as I recall, but definitely cool.

tymbee said:
...pretty pricey as I recall, but definitely cool.
Ja, well... any splitter that has one as an OEM option is going to be a higher end model and not a budget item.

This NorthStar lifter is a $900 add-on wicch is more than some folk want to spend on a splitter less alone an option.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200306951_200306951
11953_lg.jpg

Here's a short video on the Timberwolf.

LLigetfa said:
tymbee said:
Ja, well... any splitter that has one as an OEM option is going to be a higher end model and not a budget item.

As I recall the one we used to have was also from Northern. Was selling wood commercially then so the iinvestment was well worth the $$$.

tymbee said:
As I mentioned on the log tray thread, I have a tray on the splitter I use now. But the best option by far IMO was a splitter that I used to have that had a hydraulic log lifter. Virtually anything you could roll on could be easily be lifted up to split.

Even for the smaller stuff you could load up the tray with quite a few rounds which saved a lot of back & forth. Anyone else using one of these gizmos? I saw one at a local John Deere dealer-- pretty pricey as I recall, but definitely cool.

Some very nice things about splitting vertically is that no log lifter is needed which is a big savings on dollars and you never have to lift a log. I split while sitting down. Just like Jake taught me; vertically.

Backwoods Savage said:
I split while sitting down. Just like Jake taught me; vertically.
Not possible with the wedge-on-beam splitters I linked to.

Log lifters are definetly the ideal solution but as already mentioned here, they are big $$ unless you are scrounging junkyard parts.

Verticals have allowed us a way to split big rounds with out the expense of the lifter. Doesn't mean a guy/gal shouldn't dream tho..... :)

Backwoods Savage said:
tymbee said:

Some very nice things about splitting vertically is that no log lifter is needed which is a big savings on dollars and you never have to lift a log. I split while sitting down. Just like Jake taught me; vertically.

Hehheh . . . you funny guy Dennis . . . very funny.

I personally prefer splitting horizontally . . . but I have the ability . . . and have . . . gone vertical for the big 'uns before to make them easier to handle.

triptester said:
A log lift can be added to any log splitter for about $150 if a 12 volt winch is used instead of hydraulics.

Just like this:

Shari said:
triptester said:
A log lift can be added to any log splitter for about $150 if a 12 volt winch is used instead of hydraulics.

Just like this:

Now the fan club trilogy is complete. %-P

Attachments

• 100_1545sm.jpg
    100_1545sm.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 865
Jags said:
Shari said:
triptester said:

Just like this:

Now the fan club trilogy is complete. %-P

See, know I have to go to confession for coveting my neighbors goods...

I'll have to begin bugging my buddy so I can have on for spring time splitting!!

LLigetfa said:
tymbee said:

This NorthStar lifter is a $900 add-on wicch is more than some folk want to spend on a splitter less alone an option.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200306951_200306951
11953_lg.jpg

Any idea how that thing is plumbed? Are both valves special or is it just the one on the lift?

tymbee said:
If you're handy, you could whip up something like this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSYYYPDuD2E

lol, my fabrication skills are in the basic to non-existent category as evidenced by the two rounds used as a ramp on one side of the splitter to roll the big ones up onto the beam and the stack of pallets on the other side for a table.

Attachments

• 082711 big un.jpg
    082711 big un.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 367
Status
Not open for further replies.