splitter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are recommending the HF 20 ton so far? I like the idea of the thin wedge cutting through the tough stuff rather than busting it up, not to mention the two-way. And I re-powered a lawnmower that was a gift from someone important to me with a HF Predator engine this summer, and it is a nice engine, so I'm leaning that way for the splitter.
I only have about 5 hrs on it so far, but I like it very much so far. Starts easy. Runs smooth.

Unlike most machines you buy, the splitter is one where the parts are easy to replace as modules and many times are generic. No control systems, no electronics (besides what is in the motor), no sensors....it is stupid. I could replace almost anything on it in under an hr. Not much risk there.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Like everything else though- figuring out which part to replace is the key. With Murphy, O'Tool, and others in the mix the problematic part is mostly the last one you replace. That can get a bit pricy after a bit.

I only have about 5 hrs on it so far, but I like it very much so far. Starts easy. Runs smooth.

Unlike most machines you buy, the splitter is one where the parts are easy to replace as modules and many times are generic. No control systems, no electronics (besides what is in the motor), no sensors....it is stupid. I could replace almost anything on it in under an hr. Not much risk there.
Now that's what I'm talking about! The HF splitter was on sale over the New Year's weekend, and I was going to pull the trigger, but I'm hesitating because I have to figure out how to get it home. That 450 lb box is going to require some teamwork, and I'll need to borrow Dad's SUV. So, in anticipation of this cold week (it's 9 degrees F out there right now), I spent about 10 hours cutting, splitting with the Fiskars and maul, and stacking over the weekend. That splitter sure would have saved some time and effort. Also, my neighbor has about 6 cords of oak sitting in rounds up the hill, and he told me I could help myself. I helped him roll them off his lawn after he had them taken down around his house last spring, and he only uses a bit for his open fireplace- I think his wife likes the ambiance.

Being the Cheapster, I hand split.
Actually it's cuz I'm broke most of the time, and this is one of those times.

The Tractor 22 is going to be my choice this spring by what I've read on this forum.
The trees directly background in the avatar pic now have 2 cords stacked between
them each about 5 ft high by 20 inch lengths.

That was three days and about 45 ibuprofen ago. I have NEVER split before this.
New potbelly (United States Stove Company #2421) is in place but not hooked up
yet. Plain and simple I wanna go to Heaven but between now and then we need
to stay warm.

Gotta killer job/ changed careers at 48, but I'm not at top dollars yet and to boot
us new guys get laid off. Money or not, paying 500 bux a month to be warm is just
evidence of brain damage. Time for a woodstove and some new online friends.
(I go to, and moderate at a KLR forum)

Ignoring company sponsored sites, I've done Dodge, KLR, and now Hearth forums
for a reason. Real world people with real world experience. Generally great comaradarie.
Most don't push personal agendas, nor sell me a product.

Enuff blabber. I like these sites and tend to learn a library of stuff over time, and as
experience builds start helping newbies. Being the newbie today and never cooked a
woodstove, I have much learning to do. Learning a decent splitter at a decent price just
became a priority. LOL

Gotta make a lean-to over the wood working and storage areas. Putting in non-burnable
walls n' spacers for closer clearance, getting a hole punched in the roof, piping, insulated
pipe section, dry wood, wet wood, green wood, what species of wood, curing time from
green to good, mauls, axe, chainsaw, BOOM. My brain just exploded. Luckily it's only a head injury........

Spending 2,000 now to save 3,000 a year,
CheapMark

Reactions: sportbikerider78
Being the Cheapster, I hand split.
Actually it's cuz I'm broke most of the time, and this is one of those times.

The Tractor 22 is going to be my choice this spring by what I've read on this forum.
The trees directly background in the avatar pic now have 2 cords stacked between
them each about 5 ft high by 20 inch lengths.

That was three days and about 45 ibuprofen ago. I have NEVER split before this.
New potbelly (United States Stove Company #2421) is in place but not hooked up
yet. Plain and simple I wanna go to Heaven but between now and then we need
to stay warm.

Gotta killer job/ changed careers at 48, but I'm not at top dollars yet and to boot
us new guys get laid off. Money or not, paying 500 bux a month to be warm is just
evidence of brain damage. Time for a woodstove and some new online friends.
(I go to, and moderate at a KLR forum)

Ignoring company sponsored sites, I've done Dodge, KLR, and now Hearth forums
for a reason. Real world people with real world experience. Generally great comaradarie.
Most don't push personal agendas, nor sell me a product.

Enuff blabber. I like these sites and tend to learn a library of stuff over time, and as
experience builds start helping newbies. Being the newbie today and never cooked a
woodstove, I have much learning to do. Learning a decent splitter at a decent price just
became a priority. LOL

Gotta make a lean-to over the wood working and storage areas. Putting in non-burnable
walls n' spacers for closer clearance, getting a hole punched in the roof, piping, insulated
pipe section, dry wood, wet wood, green wood, what species of wood, curing time from
green to good, mauls, axe, chainsaw, BOOM. My brain just exploded. Luckily it's only a head injury........

Spending 2,000 now to save 3,000 a year,
CheapMark
I totally get it, I'm just rounding the corner after all that. But man, it is so worth it in the end. There is nothing like the wood heat, provided with my own two hands. And this forum has been invaluable.

Reactions: maple1
Status
Not open for further replies.