Splittin' a Little Firewood! - The Movie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
I don't mess with videos much because my connection is to slow, but thought I'd experiment with one.

That's all the patience I had for upload!

Nice video, Quads. More deadfall cleaning, I assume? It didn't sound green as you were splitting it.
I'm no good at guessing species - what were you splitting there?
I haven't tried a video yet. I wrestled with putting the pics in My Wood Pile Story for about 2 hours before I figured it out.
(Maybe some new guys will see that swinging an axe isn't as difficult as it's cracked up to be!)
Happy burning.

Thanks maplewood! I always carry the camera with me and when I was out yesterday I got the idea to try to upload a little video. The hardest part was trying to figure out why I couldn't get it to embed, until I read the sticky post up above. Guess I should have started there first.

It was dead, leftover from the loggers after the tornado about 5 years ago. Black Oak.

The bigger they are, the easier they split. Shhhhh, don't tell anybody or the price of axes and mauls will go up when everybody rushes out to buy one! :lol:

HUH...no experience with oak of any kind but that did split pretty easy. Good vid...makes me want to figure out mine video setting too. Quads I take it you use a tripod.

I did take a little tripod out there with me yesterday. Otherwise, sometimes I set the camera on the rack of my ATV, or on a log, or whatever. I don't very often take pictures of my big 'ol scary self though! I'm ALWAYS alone in the woods, so on the rare occasion that I want to include myself in a picture................

Quads,
We need to put you up against the Fiskars guy that someone posted a link to in the Fiskars Dissapoints thread.....I think you'd take em!!!! :coolgrin:

mikepinto65 said:
Quads,
We need to put you up against the Fiskars guy that someone posted a link to in the Fiskars Dissapoints thread.....I think you'd take em!!!! :coolgrin:
Ha ha! It's all in fun. I'd be happy to have the company while in the woods, even for a little fun competition.

quads said:
mikepinto65 said:
Quads,
Ha ha! It's all in fun. I'd be happy to have the company while in the woods, even for a little fun competition.

I was gonna say that you would do even better if you had a Fiskars. :)

Flatbedford said:
quads said:
mikepinto65 said:
Quads,

I was gonna say that you would do even better if you had a Fiskars. :)
Ha! Sure would like to try one though, just to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm looking at quads maul and it look identical to mine except it looks like you have a fiberglass handle. My maul was purchased in the 70's and I have bashed it thousands of times with a sledge with no mushrooming or other deformities. Of course back then we made specialty metals that were made to stand up to use/abuse. quads was you maul a hand me down as in a heritage maul or a recent purchase? here's a pic if my fav maul, yeah it's a 6#er.
3754643187_552cbb7903.jpg

Yes, I think your maul is basically the same as mine. Mine is 30+ years old, purchased back in the 70s too. The handle is 25+ years old. I have an even older 6 pounder that uses a round sledgehammer type handle, but the round handle never lasted very long. It's weaker than a regular ax-eye handle. The head for that one has been laying (with the handle broke off in it) on my workbench for many years. Plus, I have a brand-new 6 pounder hanging on the wall that has never been swung!

I wish my firewood split that easily, sheesh!

Peace,
- Sequoia

Don't let that fool you, me and my old 6 pounder just make it look easy!

Full-size 3.5# ax:

Fiskars:

Status
Not open for further replies.