splittin in the rain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
44 elite said:
Actually it is I have to deal with all the lazy people who are envious and would rather think that things are just handed over. They didn't see me working my regular 50-60 hrs then building the house from 5pm -11pm every night of the week and from 6 am-10pm on the weekends. Most don't to relize all the blood sweat and tears it took to build it not to mention the years of saving and hard work to get where I am at.
I have taken on a f-them attitude I am proud of what I have done and will continue to accomplish.

Bingo. Good job 44. I know where you are coming from. By the time I was 25 I (and my wife) had built a 2500 sq ft. brand new 4BR, 3 Bath CH Colonial on 2 acres in PA. We contracted for site work, poured concrete, framing and exterior. We did all of the interior ourselves, including heat, flooring, sheetrock, finished plumbing, finished electrical, cabinetry, blah blah. It took us 9 months just working on weekends to get it liveable (we lived with family 50 miles away during construction), then we moved in and worked evenings and weekends to git 'r done. We lived there for 11 years. The neighbors were resentful of these two "kids" living in this big beautiful house on a cul-de-sac (they were all 40-50+). Screw 'em. We both worked our way through college, busted our asses to save, work and earn what we have.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor. Anyone CAN accomplish great things. Few people actually do.

well, sorry 44 elite, call me an arse but I jsut dont buy your story.. Nice house anyways though. The tax's in Illinoise must be a heck of alot cheaper than here in NY, that baby would cost you a minimum of 10k/year around these parts

Jim K in PA said:
44 elite said:
Actually it is I have to deal with all the lazy people who are envious and would rather think that things are just handed over. They didn't see me working my regular 50-60 hrs then building the house from 5pm -11pm every night of the week and from 6 am-10pm on the weekends. Most don't to relize all the blood sweat and tears it took to build it not to mention the years of saving and hard work to get where I am at.
I have taken on a f-them attitude I am proud of what I have done and will continue to accomplish.

Bingo. Good job 44. I know where you are coming from. By the time I was 25 I (and my wife) had built a 2500 sq ft. brand new 4BR, 3 Bath CH Colonial on 2 acres in PA. We contracted for site work, poured concrete, framing and exterior. We did all of the interior ourselves, including heat, flooring, sheetrock, finished plumbing, finished electrical, cabinetry, blah blah. It took us 9 months just working on weekends to get it liveable (we lived with family 50 miles away during construction), then we moved in and worked evenings and weekends to git 'r done. We lived there for 11 years. The neighbors were resentful of these two "kids" living in this big beautiful house on a cul-de-sac (they were all 40-50+). Screw 'em. We both worked our way through college, busted our asses to save, work and earn what we have.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor. Anyone CAN accomplish great things. Few people actually do.

Bingo Jim same boat

It's been tough on my wife and I. I am proud but I have not had a lot of people out to our house cause it get sick of the comments. All of my neighbor's are 50 plus. It's in a small custon home sub division so everyone talks and knows all about everyone.. I play the game and tell them all different stories on what I do for a living so now they are all confused

Adirondackwoodburner said:
well, sorry 44 elite, call me an arse but I jsut dont buy your story.. Nice house anyways though. The tax's in Illinoise must be a heck of alot cheaper than here in NY, that baby would cost you a minimum of 10k/year around these parts

Fine by me I don't care what you think.

If I won the lottery or was given money do you think I would scrounge wood??? Would I cut ,split and stack it myself or would I pay someone to do it for me.
House has not been fully assessed yet but yea we are expecting 12k anything less will be a gift.

That's the thing with people today no one can just be happy for other's doing well for them self's
all they want to know is why don't I have that and have their hand out expecting the hand out.

Nah thats not it, its just that the majority of people make themselves out to be something that they arent. congrats no matter what..If I wont the lottery you bet your arse I would still be felling, bucking, splitting and stacking my own wood! to me it is pleasure along with 99% of the rest of the people on this forum. no matter what, you have made out well and I will give you that whether you built it or not and obviously in your carreer whatever that might be.

Nah thats not it, its just that the majority of people make themselves out to be something that they arent. congrats no matter what..If I wont the lottery you bet your arse I would still be felling, bucking, splitting and stacking my own wood! to me it is pleasure along with 99% of the rest of the people on this forum. no matter what, you have made out well and I will give you that whether you built it or not and obviously in your carreer whatever that might be.

May not be the case with you but I find it to be the case with most.

The fact is I had to build it myself along with the help of a few good friends there is no way I could afford to have a builder do it for me at 140 a square. This is my 2nd house I have built along with helping build 4 other's for my best friends who are
Sparkie,Plumber,framing carpenter, and Hvac
So we all have built and generaled our own houses and provided free labor to each other.
If you know anything about home construction 50% is material and 50% is labor

yeah I know plenty about it, thats a good circle of friends you have there.

I know I have a good circle of friends and that it's rare to have a group of guys that understand hard work and the fine art of if you scrach my back i will scrach yours.We all have nice houses cars,trucks,boats,quads Etc to show for it.. I just need to get one or a few into burning so I can have a cutting partner and I will be all set.

44 elite said:
I know I have a good circle of friends and that it's rare to have a group of guys that understand hard work and the fine art of if you scrach my back i will scrach yours.We all have nice houses cars,trucks,boats,quads Etc to show for it.. I just need to get one or a few into burning so I can have a cutting partner and I will be all set.
I just hire someone to help load makes it easier on me and help someone out at the same time

44 elite said:
I am way 2 cheap to hire anyone
if your cheap than its a great deal you can produce a cord of wood for about 30.00 bucks thats cheap your house is alot bigger than mine and i go through 10-12 cords a year the going rate aroud here is 150 cord unseasoned now that chep 30 bucks a cord

My house does not take much to heat at all.
2x6 walls with closed Cell foam insulation
Windows were custom made with a 7/8 air gap,lowE 4 coating and argon gas
I have 2 Ng furnaces 2 stage(95% Eff) in the basement and a variable on the second story(97% Eff)
It costs me less to heat this house with out the use of the stove than my last house that was half the size.
My highest Ng bill was $175 that includes hot water, cooktop,and Dryer that was for a month when we had neg deg temp for like 3 weeks straight

44 elite said:
My house does not take much to heat at all.
2x6 walls with closed Cell foam insulation
Windows were custom made with a 7/8 air gap,lowE 4 coating and argon gas
I have 2 Ng furnaces 2 stage(95% Eff) in the basement and a variable on the second story(97% Eff)
It costs me less to heat this house with out the use of the stove than my last house that was half the size.
My highest Ng bill was $175 that includes hot water, cooktop,and Dryer that was for a month when we had neg deg temp for like 3 weeks straight
if thats right then heck with the wood! Iam looking at one natural gas furance 90 percent eff furance (2600sq ft) and i asure you without the wood it would be around 300 month no problem. with your numbers I would sell the wood equiment and go kayaking (but thats just me) Iam cheap

The furnaces were only heating the house up to 58 when not home and 63 when home then the stove would do the rest until the wife is naked then I throttle her down.

If I am not able to get the 44 elite to do what I want it to do this year I am going to scrap the idea and just run the furnaces.
I do enjoy the work and also the cash is nice but i could be doing other things for sidework but this time of year I have enjoyed playing with my wood

44 elite said:
The furnaces were only heating the house up to 58 when not home and 63 when home then the stove would do the rest until the wife is naked then I throttle her down.

If I am not able to get the 44 elite to do what I want it to do this year I am going to scrap the idea and just run the furnaces.
I do enjoy the work and also the cash is nice but i could be doing other things for sidework but this time of year I have enjoyed playing with my wood
I hear you for me its the bottom line! I had to do the wood cutting as a kid so it came natrual to me but the savings was very eazy to justify and part time help.If I could just drop them and walk away it would be a blast! Been felling 50-60 in.100 ft + tall silver maple for the last year takes 5-10 min. to bring down and 40 hrs. to buck and splitt and haul,and My wife doesnt get naked til 72 degrees and i cant blame her for that!

same with me my grandpa would roll over in his grave if he knew I used a splitter and did not do it the way he taught me when I was a youngster.
So we will see if the elite proves it's self this winter then I will continue if not I will just buy a cord when it's time for the old lady to get naked

44 elite said:
same with me my grandpa would roll over in his grave if he knew I used a splitter and did not do it the way he taught me when I was a youngster.
So we will see if the elite proves it's self this winter then I will continue if not I will just buy a cord when it's time for the old lady to get naked
better go with 3 cords winter are long in the midwest.lol

44 elite said:
Bingo Jim same boat

It's been tough on my wife and I. I am proud but I have not had a lot of people out to our house cause it get sick of the comments. All of my neighbor's are 50 plus. It's in a small custon home sub division so everyone talks and knows all about everyone.. I play the game and tell them all different stories on what I do for a living so now they are all confused

Us too. After 11 years we got tired of living on Snob Hill, so we sold the place when prices were rising (2002 exodus of post-9/11 NYers coming to PA) and moved 15 minutes south to a 190 year old farmhouse. We have 10 acres mixed woodland and field/pasture, and am surrounded on 2 sides by my neighbors 90 acre farm. Lovin' life.

Good friends are treasures in life. Not just for bartered labor, but for the times when you CAN'T work on their projects but need help on your own. True friends don't keep score. Pay it forward really does work.

Peace.

Jim K in PA said:
44 elite said:
Bingo Jim same boat

Us too. After 11 years we got tired of living on Snob Hill, so we sold the place when prices were rising (2002 exodus of post-9/11 NYers coming to PA) and moved 15 minutes south to a 190 year old farmhouse. We have 10 acres mixed woodland and field/pasture, and am surrounded on 2 sides by my neighbors 90 acre farm. Lovin' life.

Good friends are treasures in life. Not just for bartered labor, but for the times when you CAN'T work on their projects but need help on your own. True friends don't keep score. Pay it forward really does work.

Peace.

We will see
We love it here and our neighbor's are great just about twice our age and none of them can drink to save their lives.
Could always wait for the market to pick back up and test out the saying that if you build 2 your third is about free.
My friends know that I will drop what I am doing and help out with anything and they do the same it works

looks about 2 cords

LLigetfa said:
is that picture for real?? haha.....
If you're talking about my umbrella, yes it's for real. Here's a closeup of the mount.

Pretty good idea there. now I just have to find a used umbrella..

Status
Not open for further replies.