splittin wood and spiders what a day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdscj8

Feb 19, 2009
Eastern,Nebraska
:) Perfect morning today things where to good to be true, cloudy 60 deg light wind not much humidity, log splitter fired right up (dont know how, it never does that) started splittin a pile of walnut i cut 3 years ago thinkin luck was on my side, then about the third piece i split i felt a pin prick on my hand, didn't think anything of it. about an hour later i stopped to take a pee, about half way through i was interrupted by an uneasy feeling on top of my guy. looking down i seen a black spider, now what do you do, i thought just flick it off, wrong just as i was about to flick it i seen three yellow dots on its back but it was to late just before my finger hit it i felt the bite. so, scared that i just got bite on my guy by a black widow i followed it with my eyes to see where it lands, now being pissed off as i was i hit it with a split, ok so i get the spider and know now for sure that it is a black widow. so now im thinkin oh chit i just got bit on the dick its off to the hospital. Ok so now im at the hospital and have to explain what happened, as soon i said where it was everyone was a little faster gettin things done, found out the first bite was a black widow also, two black widow bites 10 hours hospital, two shoots and some pills later im back at home wondering whats going to happen in the days to come. Now i have to tell my wife when she gets home from work no playin for awhile, shes going to be laughin about this for years, and everyone in a three state radius is going to here about it from her. anyone else been bit by one of these let me know what i have to look forward to. :mad:

Let me get this strait, You're worried about your wife telling every one in a 3 state radius about this and you just posted it to a forum which the entire world can read!

Now that's funny I don't care who you are! :)

I heard once somewhere, might have been BB, I can't remember but in the field you're supposed to treat a spider bite like a snake bite. Too bad your wife wasn't around when you got bit. Could have saved a trip to the emergency room! :zip:
Annnnnnyyyyywwway! Glad to hear you're allright.

Well, I got bit by one early this summer on the right thigh and before it was all said and done I lost my leg................... Just kidding! But it did swell up about the size of a half golf ball. It was sore and it itched for a 2 weeks!

That's just awful.

Peeing in the woods is one of life's great pleasures for a man.

Glad we don't have black widows in Wisconsin.

Good luck explaining it to the wife and hope everything turns out ok.

That's just awful.

Ouch! Makes mine shrivel up and hide just thinking of it.

HalfwittingLEE said:
I heard once somewhere, might have been BB, I can't remember but in the field you're supposed to treat a spider bite like a snake bite. Too bad your wife wasn't around when you got bit. Could have saved a trip to the emergency room! :zip:

In your wildest, end of your life, it ain't happening, dreams.

Where's Perp & Bobbin when ya need them ?

:lol:

it dont matter who knows, my wife just has a big mouth when the laugh is on me, so she'll tell everyone. Dont do that to me i cant even think of losing it, but great, weeks of itching and swelling sounds fun. not. :grrr:

First off, you have my sympathy . . . but I will admit the story did give me a chuckle since no one wants a spider bite . . . or any other bite . . . on Mr. Winkie.

runandjump said:
Well, I got bit by one early this summer on the right thigh and before it was all said and done I lost my leg................... Just kidding! But it did swell up about the size of a half golf ball. It was sore and it itched for a 2 weeks!

lmao ...thats freakin hilarious

Don't worry about a thing. I just talked to your doctor about this and he told me your wife has already talked to him too. She asked if there were any way that he could keep the swelling in and take the soreness out! Maybe can be done...

Thats what I was thinking - maybe if your lucky it will just swell up for the next two weeks. I would take out an add in the newspaper. :lol:

Man, you got a couple of other large unmentionables to willingly put this story on the www.
And its so bizarre it's got to be true.
Those pills - were they little blue ones with a promise to "ship in a plain labelled box directly to your home"?
I'm thinking I would want all the care I could get from my wife. Expecially for the itching.
Will there be a follow-up of this story in The Perfict Picture forum?
You know how you pick up a piece of wood to put into the stove, and you say to yourself, "I remember this piece..." and a flood of memories comes back about cutting it, it dropping on your foot, trying to make it fit perfectly into the stacked pile, or maybe it had a colour or shape that stood out?
Will you ever pee again without thinking, "Am I alone down there?"
Thanks for sharing...I think.... :)

had my gloves on the wood pile before and they were there for abouth a month, put them on and felt like a hot coal was in there burning my skin it was a brown recluse whole arm swell up and hirt like @ell

northwinds said:
That's just awful.

That's just awful.

I actually beleive you do have Black Widows in Wisconsin, they're just sneaky.

Delta-T said:
northwinds said:
That's just awful.

That's just awful.

I actually beleive you do have Black Widows in Wisconsin, they're just sneaky.

You are correct. But they are few and far between. Something about the cold. What we have more of is the dang Brown Recluse. If given a choice, I will take the black widow.

maplewood said:
Will there be a follow-up of this story in The Perfict Picture forum?
I hope you're a female if you really want to see followup pictures!

OP,
I feel for you bro! If your wife thinks it's so funny, put that 'log' to good use... :cheese:

Jags said:
Delta-T said:
northwinds said:

I actually believe you do have Black Widows in Wisconsin, they're just sneaky.

You are correct. But they are few and far between. Something about the cold. What we have more of is the dang Brown Recluse. If given a choice, I will take the black widow.

Brown recluse are also rare in WI. http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/naturalresources/DD6962.html

Only two specimens recorded in the last 25 years. Did not know that there were any black widows, but glad to know
they are rare also. There ought to be some bonuses to living in a cold climate.

northwinds said:
Jags said:
Delta-T said:
northwinds said:

I actually believe you do have Black Widows in Wisconsin, they're just sneaky.

Brown recluse are also rare in WI. http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/naturalresources/DD6962.html

Only two specimens recorded in the last 25 years. Did not know that there were any black widows, but glad to know
they are rare also. There ought to be some bonuses to living in a cold climate.

Hard to believe because I personally know 2 victims of the little bastages with the tissue damage to prove it (one was underneath the dudes right eye, the other one in the leg (calf))

HalfwittingLEE said:

Thats Hilarious and a perfect cure all!

I too got a chuckle out of this but sure do feel for you. I've never had the unfortunate event of being bit by a spider on the Johnson but I have been unlucky enough to have a tick decide to start its meal there........TWICE!!! Ugh gives me the willies just thinking of it now!
Just have your wife lather on a little Evening Primrose Oil...heard its suppose to be a good natural anti itch oil.

jdscj8,
Man, that's one tricky spider.
I found one on a split a couple weeks ago while moving wood from the stacks in the back to the front of the house. Man, I'm glad I wear gloves when working on the firewood! Took several pics, then put him in the woods. FAR, FAR away in the woods.
Looked up black widow spidey online, and sure enough, that's what it was. Very large abdomen and orangish to red hourglass shapes on back and belly.
Willie stayed zipped up in the barn the whole time. :roll:
Hope it doesn't fall off in the next couple weeks.

Good luck,
Dave

Jags said:
Hard to believe because I personally know 2 victims of the little bastages with the tissue damage to prove it (one was underneath the dudes right eye, the other one in the leg (calf))

Jags, I could sleep a lot better if I knew I didn't have to worry about brown recluse spiders so long as I keep north of your stateline. :)
As a Lymes Disease survivor, I don't like bugs that do me harm. This thread takes it to unimagined territory.

http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcreclusespiders.htm

Attachments

• pcreclusespiders_clip_image010.gif
    pcreclusespiders_clip_image010.gif
    17.1 KB · Views: 347
Status
Not open for further replies.