Splitting A Crotch - It's Not A Rip In My Pants

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin

Dang quads, it looked like your maul did her job,you didnt have to throw her :lol:

Now, Quads, you just know you're going to lose that maul in the snow....... :)

Shari

Shari said:
Now, Quads, you just know you're going to lose that maul in the snow....... :)

Shari
Just don't tie it off to the gas can :lol:

Faster then a hydraulic splitter & you didn't have to pick it up.
You da man!
Nice demo.

cozy heat said:
Now let's see ya split one rotated 90 degrees so the wood 'legs' are parallel to your legs. :)
Ha! No. Then the middle ends up as a big clumsy shaped piece to get in the stove, otherwise just as easy to split that way too but messy. I actually don't cut crotches that way when I saw the tree up. I cut this one like that intentionally to be used as a prop for the movie! Normally I would have cut one "leg" off flush with the rest of the trunk, but still would have split it the same direction.

ohio woodburner said:
Dang quads, it looked like your maul did her job,you didnt have to throw her :lol:
After this long, I don't want that old maul to think it can get spoiled now!

Show off!

That's how it's done! Who needs a splitter, anyway?

BTW, I learned to do that growing up in Coloma.

Eric Johnson said:

I could throw a rock and almost hit Coloma from here! I built one of the towers on the hill, when I was much younger and skinnier.

Sort of reminded me of old times. I still love my hydraulic splitter though. But there are times I wish I could go back to swinging the axe or maul. But if I do that I never know if I'll be able to make it to the house or onto a stretcher. lol

Backwoods Savage said:
Sort of reminded me of old times. I still love my hydraulic splitter though. But there are times I wish I could go back to swinging the axe or maul. But if I do that I never know if I'll be able to make it to the house or onto a stretcher. lol

lol I am sore after using the splitter cant think about mad man Quads. Sure wouldnt pick a fight with him.

quads said:
Eric Johnson said:

I could throw a rock and almost hit Coloma from here! I built one of the towers on the hill, when I was much younger and skinnier.

The only hill for miles and miles.

My folks still have a tree farm where they live and work out on Cumberland Ave. I spent my formative years cutting pine pulpwood and scrub oak firewood for my dad. We'd cut, split and stack the wood in the woods, then go back in fall and load semis with it. He used to say, "Don't worry if you come across a chunk that you can't split, son. Don't kill yourself trying. But when I see one, there better be lots of maul marks on both ends."

Eric Johnson said:
quads said:
Eric Johnson said:

The only hill for miles and miles.

My folks still have a tree farm where they live and work out on Cumberland Ave. I spent my formative years cutting pine pulpwood and scrub oak firewood for my dad. We'd cut, split and stack the wood in the woods, then go back in fall and load semis with it. He used to say, "Don't worry if you come across a chunk that you can't split, son. Don't kill yourself trying. But when I see one, there better be lots of maul marks on both ends."
Yep, the edge of the glacier.

I remember you mentioning before that your dad still lives in WI. Cumberland Ave. is a bit north of me, I'm by Ember. I know a lot of Johnsons, but of course there are a lot of them!

Backwoods Savage said:
If you're ever in this neck of the woods, come on over and give it a few swings. I can also haul you back to the house in my sled!

smokinjay said:
lol I am sore after using the splitter cant think about mad man Quads. Sure wouldnt pick a fight with him.
Ha ha! Not me. I look scarier than I really am.

yeah, quads. I've seen other vids of you splitting. what's with the multiple nancy swings?

quads said:
Backwoods Savage said:
If you're ever in this neck of the woods, come on over and give it a few swings. I can also haul you back to the house in my sled!

I get back there a couple times a year. Bringing my bicycle this time. I've gotta see what it's like to bike on flat ground (except for the hill on 21, of course). You should be a cyclist with a nick like quads. That's what we're all trying to develop.

Eric Johnson said:
quads said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I get back there a couple times a year. Bringing my bicycle this time. I've gotta see what it's like to bike on flat ground (except for the hill on 21, of course). You should be a cyclist with a nick like quads. That's what we're all trying to develop.
I am a cyclist, sort of! I love to ride bicycle, but I don't do it as much as cutting wood. I ride around here, when I can, and sometimes I go to Elroy and ride the trails. I'm not the typical bicycle rider you think of nowadays though! I usually ride in my bib overalls, on either of my favorite Wal-mart bikes. The 3-speed or the one-speed!

Danno77 said:
yeah, quads. I've seen other vids of you splitting. what's with the multiple nancy swings?
Ha, you guys are so funny! Really though, I thought of mentioning that it took me more swings than a normal crotch like that does. I had already split the rest of the trunk, so maybe I was starting to peter-out a little bit? All part of old age, I guess!

quads said:
I am a cyclist, sort of! I love to ride bicycle, but I don't do it as much as cutting wood. I ride around here, when I can, and sometimes I go to Elroy and ride the trails. I'm not the typical bicycle rider you think of nowadays though! I usually ride in my bib overalls, on either of my favorite Wal-mart bikes. The 3-speed or the one-speed!
LOL, picturing it right now.... have you ever seen the movie Tommy Boy? Chris Farley puts on David Spade's coat and starts singing "fat guy in a little coat"... well we have a similar song, usually reserved for when we see adults riding those little BMX bikes (Big guy on a little bike)... In your case, we might (just might) sing that song. Otherwise you get the "*sigh* - another drunk driver" from my wife...

Not complaining about the bibs. Probably a better choice than tight bike shorts...

Danno77 said:
quads said:
LOL, picturing it right now.... have you ever seen the movie Tommy Boy? Chris Farley puts on David Spade's coat and starts singing "fat guy in a little coat"... well we have a similar song, usually reserved for when we see adults riding those little BMX bikes (Big guy on a little bike)... In your case, we might (just might) sing that song. Otherwise you get the "*sigh* - another drunk driver" from my wife...

Not complaining about the bibs. Probably a better choice than tight bike shorts...
In my case they are DEFINITELY a better choice than biker shorts! I do look a little like Chris Farley, only my face is hairier.

I do most of my riding on rural roads, decked out in spandex, etc. I get funny looks from the farmers, but I always wave and say hi. We both operate slow-moving vehicles on public roadways, so at least we have that in common. I need to get a John Deere jersey so I can fit into the scene a little better. When I'm not riding, I'm cutting and splitting firewood (by hand, of course). Gotta stay in shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.