1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Splitting A Crotch - It's Not A Rip In My Pants

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by quads, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ohio woodburner

ohio woodburner Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Ohio
    Dang quads, it looked like your maul did her job,you didnt have to throw her :lol:
  3. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    Now let's see ya split one rotated 90 degrees so the wood 'legs' are parallel to your legs. :)
  4. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Now, Quads, you just know you're going to lose that maul in the snow....... :)

Shari
  5. hareball

hareball Member

Loc:
    Jersey shore/pines
    Just don't tie it off to the gas can :lol:
  6. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Faster then a hydraulic splitter & you didn't have to pick it up.
    You da man!
    Nice demo.
  7. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    Ha! No. Then the middle ends up as a big clumsy shaped piece to get in the stove, otherwise just as easy to split that way too but messy. I actually don't cut crotches that way when I saw the tree up. I cut this one like that intentionally to be used as a prop for the movie! Normally I would have cut one "leg" off flush with the rest of the trunk, but still would have split it the same direction.
  8. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    After this long, I don't want that old maul to think it can get spoiled now!
  9. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    Show off!
  10. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    That's how it's done! Who needs a splitter, anyway?

BTW, I learned to do that growing up in Coloma.
  11. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    I could throw a rock and almost hit Coloma from here! I built one of the towers on the hill, when I was much younger and skinnier.
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Sort of reminded me of old times. I still love my hydraulic splitter though. But there are times I wish I could go back to swinging the axe or maul. But if I do that I never know if I'll be able to make it to the house or onto a stretcher. lol
  13. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    lol I am sore after using the splitter cant think about mad man Quads. Sure wouldnt pick a fight with him.
  14. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    The only hill for miles and miles.

My folks still have a tree farm where they live and work out on Cumberland Ave. I spent my formative years cutting pine pulpwood and scrub oak firewood for my dad. We'd cut, split and stack the wood in the woods, then go back in fall and load semis with it. He used to say, "Don't worry if you come across a chunk that you can't split, son. Don't kill yourself trying. But when I see one, there better be lots of maul marks on both ends."
  15. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    Yep, the edge of the glacier.

I remember you mentioning before that your dad still lives in WI. Cumberland Ave. is a bit north of me, I'm by Ember. I know a lot of Johnsons, but of course there are a lot of them!
  16. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    If you're ever in this neck of the woods, come on over and give it a few swings. I can also haul you back to the house in my sled!
  17. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    Ha ha! Not me. I look scarier than I really am.
  18. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    :p Hmmm,,,? Took ya 6 whacks to split it, I could have done it 2. ;-)
  19. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    yeah, quads. I've seen other vids of you splitting. what's with the multiple nancy swings?
  20. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    I get back there a couple times a year. Bringing my bicycle this time. I've gotta see what it's like to bike on flat ground (except for the hill on 21, of course). You should be a cyclist with a nick like quads. That's what we're all trying to develop.
  21. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    I am a cyclist, sort of! I love to ride bicycle, but I don't do it as much as cutting wood. I ride around here, when I can, and sometimes I go to Elroy and ride the trails. I'm not the typical bicycle rider you think of nowadays though! I usually ride in my bib overalls, on either of my favorite Wal-mart bikes. The 3-speed or the one-speed!
  22. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    Ha, you guys are so funny! Really though, I thought of mentioning that it took me more swings than a normal crotch like that does. I had already split the rest of the trunk, so maybe I was starting to peter-out a little bit? All part of old age, I guess!
  23. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    LOL, picturing it right now.... have you ever seen the movie Tommy Boy? Chris Farley puts on David Spade's coat and starts singing "fat guy in a little coat"... well we have a similar song, usually reserved for when we see adults riding those little BMX bikes (Big guy on a little bike)... In your case, we might (just might) sing that song. Otherwise you get the "*sigh* - another drunk driver" from my wife...

Not complaining about the bibs. Probably a better choice than tight bike shorts...
  24. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    In my case they are DEFINITELY a better choice than biker shorts! I do look a little like Chris Farley, only my face is hairier.
  25. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    I do most of my riding on rural roads, decked out in spandex, etc. I get funny looks from the farmers, but I always wave and say hi. We both operate slow-moving vehicles on public roadways, so at least we have that in common. I need to get a John Deere jersey so I can fit into the scene a little better. When I'm not riding, I'm cutting and splitting firewood (by hand, of course). Gotta stay in shape.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.