Splitting Ax...Any suggestions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Really want to get a good splitting ax this year. Have some questions though and looking for advice....What is a good weight? Fiberglass or wooden handle? Single or double edge? Just getting tired of wedges and the maul ax routine...

"Nordic splitter"?

Soonds like ye gatta gowe weet a Feeskaars.;)

I like my X27.
Pretty sure there may be 2 or 3 threads on here about them -search and ye shall find.
Good luck, and good splitting -
OB

My hand splitters: Fiskars X27, 8 lb maul, 10 lb sledge & wedges. They pretty much cover everything--well, everything when I don't use a 35-ton splitter.

I've gone through many different splitting mauls, including the chopper II and the monster maul, and this simple one far outshines all the others:

splitter-1.jpg

I used a chopper II for several years, and told people how great it was, but then I got this one at a garage sale. It's a Fiberglas handle and I estimate that it is a six pound head. It made quick work of that large round behind me.

RoundPartSplit.jpg

Fiskars x27 and an 8lb maul. Takes care of mostly everything I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.