Splitting Axe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a self-employed contractor for over 34 years and I have bought and used more than my fair share of tools of all sorts. Many of them seemed rather expensive but I deemed them necessary. I can honestly say that the Fiskars X27 was and still is the best investment I have ever made in a tool purchase. Nothing else compares to the simplicity, quality, and downright economy of that purchase.

The Fiskar fans are people who have used them. I am always ready to try or buy something new that will make my job easier. I have lots of stuff in the junk pile that didnt work but, the x27 is not one of them. You may wear one out but, you will not break one.
Mike

I picked up a Fiskars X25 a few weeks ago and have used it enough to form what I think is a valid opinion and I posted a review here about it.
In summary:
I'm 5'7" tall (early in the morning on a good day) and 50 years old. I've been splitting fire wood off and on since dad decided I was big enough to swing an axe or maul.
I cut and split pretty exclusively hard woods, mostly oak, black jack, hickory.
The Fiskars is a good tool and a great addition to my "tool box" but it won't replace my 8# maul or wedges and sledge. I wish I had held out for the X27 with the longer handle and may buy one if I find one on a rack somewhere.

+1 on the X27

It works! Everything has it limitations including this fine tool.

LArry in OK said:
I picked up a Fiskars X25 a few weeks ago and have used it enough to form what I think is a valid opinion and I posted a review here about it.
In summary:
I'm 5'7" tall (early in the morning on a good day) and 50 years old. I've been splitting fire wood off and on since dad decided I was big enough to swing an axe or maul.
I cut and split pretty exclusively hard woods, mostly oak, black jack, hickory.
The Fiskars is a good tool and a great addition to my "tool box" but it won't replace my 8# maul or wedges and sledge. I wish I had held out for the X27 with the longer handle and may buy one if I find one on a rack somewhere.

I also bought the X25 and wish I bought the X27 just for the longer handle. Didn't realize how much the handle length would affect me. I bought mine of amazon and the X27 price seems to be the best around too!

I just got an X27 from Azamon the other day. I was always a bit hesitant about he short handle on the X25, so when I saw the X27 on Azamon, at a good price too, I went for it and I'm glad I did.

Unfortunately, I don't have any rounds to split with it at the moment. But I will be splitting what looks like a cord or more of California Live Oak next week or so. A friend has a huge (protected) oak in the lower portion of her backyard. Six years ago a major branch (looks like it was 18" or more diameter) came down and her husband cut it in to rounds and stacked it against the block wall. I was helping build a stage in the back yard and asked about the wood. They said I could have half of whatever I split. I figure that after six years in sunny So. Calif, even rounds will be pretty well seasoned. I should be out there next week splitting. The only bear is that I'll have to haul my portion of the wood up a flight of garden stairs and then down a narrow path.

In the meantime, I tried the X27 on some older splits that I wanted to resplit. Almost every one was a one-swing split. Nothing else I have would have done that. Nothing. It even resplit some knarly pieces that I didn't think would split at all. Those were not one swing, but not too many swings.

I'm looking forward to picking up more green wood this spring / summer as folks round here have their trees trimmed. No eukie though. I don't think even the Fiskars can make that split easy. I used a 20 ton (rental) splitter on some eukie once and it didn't split the wood, it tore it apart.

I like the chain gizmo, but worry about missing my swing and hitting the chain instead of the wood.

Peace,
- Sequoia

My dad didnt believe that my fiskars would do a better job than his 8lb maul,so he sharpened it up and brought it over. After 1 18 inch round he could see my point. Its all about ax speed not weight and you can drive that light fiskars alot faster than a 6 or 8 lb maul. Just look at baseball players, the bats they use now are much lighter than the ones used 20 years ago because greater bat speed helps them drive the ball further.

yep...the fiskars can make you giggle when you are ripping thru the rounds.

I put a chain rig together like this guy...

Huge time saver...and keeps you from bending over after each swing.

Let us know if it does the job for ya!

That chain rig is sweet! I use a tire for small and medium rounds but I think I will make one of those for larger rounds and splitting away from home. Thanks for sharing that !

Ordered a Granfors Maul yesterday. I am currently using a x27 so it will be interesting to see how the two compare.

I broke my Fiskers yesterday....I'm off to sears Saturday for a new one...I think it was my fault, but it is a great ax.
DO NOT buy a new one...they are guaranteed for life and will replace them free

I was about to buy a new splitting maul and someone suggested I try a Fiskars X25 Splitting Axe. The 28" handle scares me a bit. I'm 5'-10". It also seems a bit on the light side at 4.5 lbs. I am usually splitting medium to large rounds of locust and oak and I was hoping to get an opinion or two on the usefulness of this little fella.
I am confused...your signature says you own the X27

Your math for determining force is totally bogus; you're really looking at kinetic energy. For maximizing that, I've found that a 6 lb maul is just about right. With metallurgy different from Fiskars, so that it's not brittle and chipping at the edge. Seems to me that the head shape works best when it has "chubby cheeks" that start spreading the sides of the split very shortly after breaking the surface of the wood. Sorry, but your statement about the shape of the wedge and head velocity makes no sense. Too bad, but some folks are not fanboys for new toys. I am a fanboy for honest rational evaluations; this ain't it.
Sniff.......Sniff.....I smell BullSh#t. From every angle to me being a college professor, to me having used a 4 lb maul, a 6 lb maul, and 8 lb sledge, to having used the X27....all the same wood, all the same time factors, the X27 works the best.

Reactions: Senatormofo
I am confused...your signature says you own the X27
Hi Don,
I posted this question in February 2012. After reading all of the comments, I bought the X-27. I have owned it for about 9 months now and I love using it! It serves me fine for 95% of what I deal with. The other 5% gets the saw!

Reactions: Don Williams
Ordered a Granfors Maul yesterday. I am currently using a x27 so it will be interesting to see how the two compare.
Kodiakll, I've read a lot about Granfors Mauls and I am curious to hear your comments on the comparison between the Fiskars and the Granfors. I know Gransfors makes a quality product but they are a bit pricey compared to Fiskars.

Status
Not open for further replies.