Splitting Block Heigth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
I've never used one cause I've always split with a sledge and wedges. I just got an X27 so a block is in order. What should the height of the block be for a guy 5'11"

Try 16" and see if you like it. If not, try something else.

Take the fattest round and make that you block.
I always use a block whether I am using a maul or an axe.

Altho, I rarely use my axe because it seems everything I bring home requires a maul or sledge/wedge.

I like the handle of my X27straight out or parallel with the ground when it hits the wood. For me that is two pallets and my wood is 18". I am 5'11"

my wood is 18". I am 5'11"

All the dimensions are the same, I think I'll try that. How long do your pallets last under all the pounding?

I like the handle of my X27straight out or parallel with the ground when it hits the wood. For me that is two pallets and my wood is 18". I am 5'11"

I would think pallets under a round would absorb a lot of energy plus have metal in them.

Reactions: Jon1270
To OP, just try it on the ground. No reason to pick something up you don't have to.

All the dimensions are the same, I think I'll try that. How long do your pallets last under all the pounding?

I use hard wood pallets screwed together then a piece of 1/2 inch of plywood screwed to the pallets and a tire screwed to that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 186
It works good for me. With the tire the blade never hits the pallet, the handle hits the tire first.

Splitting on the ground dulls the blade, in the tire the wood all stays together.

I stand corrected. I had no idea you were dealing with wood that small. In your situation that would work well.:)

I deal with a lot larger wood than that.

4iyxe.jpg

2ljqqtw.jpg

I like the tire idea. That is my next project. Bending over and sitting up again is most of the work.

How do you keep from breaking handle with pieces in middle?

It's the height that works best for YOU. I am 6'2 splitting 20 inch splits. So 18 works for me, of course in the tire. Large rds bigger than 20 dia get 1/4 on the ground then in the tire.

It's the height that works best for YOU. I am 6'2 splitting 20 inch splits. So 18 works for me, of course in the tire. Large rds bigger than 20 dia get 1/4 on the ground then in the tire.
I whack the outside rounds first, the I aim for the ones on the inside. The handle usually finds the gaps.

I whack the outside rounds first, the I aim for the ones on the inside. The handle usually finds the gaps.

I do this as well, I 1/4 the round to get it to fit in the 20" tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.