Splitting block pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAardvark

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2015
Central PA
Anyone else build their own splitting block? I made this out of scrap and an old tire. I got tired of cleaning out the chips and bark when I had the tire attached to a big stump so I made this where the junk falls down through.

Attachments

• 20150704_135610_HDR~2.jpg
    20150704_135610_HDR~2.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 295
Reactions: ADK_XJ
Hey, pretty smart! Will be curious to see how that holds up.

I just put the tire on the ground and swing away. No splitting blocks for me.

My splitting block is the stump of an ash that was taken down 3 years ago. It is close to 38 inches across and a very stable platform. I cut it about 6 inches shorter after using it a little while to get to a height that I liked for splitting. The tire just sits on it so when I want to clean the space inside I drag it off and then put it back in place. All the bark and scraps end up next to it on the ground and I have a clean block again.

My splitting block it the round I park my butt on when I am running the splitter. When I split it I know I am done for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.