Splitting by hand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Think I'm done splitting by hand. Its the crotches, knots, in grown branch ends that take the fun out of it. Also,there are just too many other things to do. Unless I scrounge the wood, the difference in cost is only about $90 between split green and unsplit logs per cord. And I'm not going to drop 3k on a splitter.

I'm not! I've split 6 cords by hand since the end of winter and can't wait to get out there and split some rounds now. If its too tough to split I just toss it aside for bonfire wood. You can get a decent splitter for much less than 3k. My local tractor supply just had a 21 ton on sale for 799

I love splitting by hand. It's therapy for me. Knots and branches don't bother me. Crotches I noodle in half and then they split almost as easy a clean round. I live and cut on my own land, so wood doesn't cost me anything. It saves me a lot on psychiatric bills though!:)

We all have to make our own choices. If it's not enjoyable for you and you don't mind the extra cost then that is probably the way to go. Personally I enjoy it, both the exercise and the savings. But I split mostly red oak, which is known for being super easy to split. If I had to split elm all the time maybe I'd have a much different opinion.

Sure beats a gym membership. As far as the knots and crotches...I strategically cut the lengths to leave them isolated so I can use them as all nighters. Let them sit a year and they are good to go. The key is go with the grain..not against. :)

I got a lot of ornery wood right now and alot of other stuff to do. Its pretty demoralizing when you make 3 rightly placed blows and come up empty.

3K on a splitter?? I think the 22-tonners are about 1K, aren't they? Smaller electrics are cheaper than that I believe. But yeah, so much to do and so little time...

It's tougher work than going to the gym. Splitting kills your hands and wrists after years of hand splitting. I know from experience. I can't imagine a better splitter than what I got for 1300.00. 22 ton is all I'll ever need. I can pull around my property with my tractor or by hand if need be. Take a look, you might be surprised by the prices.

$999 got me this:

IMG_0033.jpg

Reactions: Paulywalnut
As others have said, doing it by hand isn't for everyone. I've come close to getting a $1200 splitter, but I can't swing it right now when I'm more than capable of swinging the Fiskars. My rule us, if it takes more than 4 whacks and nothing happens, it gets tossed aside to be noodled. I can spend a lot in gas and chains for the cost of a splitter!

I love to split by hand. I live near the city and spitting by hand is my therapy to a busy life. The sounds of my maul striking wood, the smell of the split wood . My neighbors some times come by to watch. Then there is the work out, I'm drenched in sweat after 30 minutes but it feels good. The best part is looking back at what you have split and stacked sitting down and chugging a cold beer.

I hear you - there comes a point when you just have to have a splitter. I do the gym thing (run 30 miles/week) in addition to hand splitting all my wood; but, I only need two to three cords of firewood/year. Just make sure your rounds bottom's are up when you hand split - so much easier. Today I get my choice of jobs around the house, get to finish cutting and splitting the rest of my firewood that I have on hand. Happy Father's day to all fathers, step fathers, adopted fathers, and grandfathers.

Reactions: Rebelduckman
I love to split by hand. I live near the city and spitting by hand is my therapy to a busy life. The sounds of my maul striking wood, the smell of the split wood . My neighbors some times come by to watch. Then there is the work out, I'm drenched in sweat after 30 minutes but it feels good. The best part is looking back at what you have split and stacked sitting down and chugging a cold beer.

Neighbors really come by to watch you hand split wood? Man that must be a city thing. Everyone around here hides so they don't get asked to help. :)

swinging the Fiskars. My rule us, if it takes more than 4 whacks and nothing happens, it gets tossed aside...
...and I pick up something with some arse, like a six- or eight-pound maul. ==c

Reactions: Brewmonster
I got a lot of ornery wood right now and alot of other stuff to do. Its pretty demoralizing when you make 3 rightly placed blows and come up empty.

3 swings? Wow, I've had some stubborn silver maple rounds I've been working lately, and a few of those have taken me 30+ minutes alternating between the X27 and the 8 pound maul. I would say 75% of what I split takes more than 3 swings to get through though.

As others have said, doing it by hand isn't for everyone. I've come close to getting a $1200 splitter, but I can't swing it right now when I'm more than capable of swinging the Fiskars. My rule us, if it takes more than 4 whacks and nothing happens, it gets tossed aside to be noodled. I can spend a lot in gas and chains for the cost of a splitter!

I have a similar rule on the 4 whacks, but I handle it by cutting the round thinner/shorter (usually easier to split). If that doesn't work, it goes into my outdoor bonfire pile, which also includes the rotten wood that was too soft to split.

Neighbors really come by to watch you hand split wood? Man that must be a city thing. Everyone around here hides so they don't get asked to help. :)
Yeah it's funny, city people forget that firewood involves a process. They think going to the supermarket is the place to buy a bundle of wood. I buy rounds off a tree service guy I know and split and stack it myself. Right now I have two cords ready for next winter.

I split 90% of my wood by hand. It is quicker than with a splitter. The other 10% of the woods that is crotches, knots, and gnarly wood is tossed aside for the splitter. My rule of thumb is if I take three hits to the wood and it does not split, I toss it aside for the splitter. With this method I was able to buck and split 8 chords in about 40hrs this spring. I'm just finishing up stacking now.

Reactions: pricey106
I prefer the 22 ton husky, i lay brick and block all week and sometimes weekends, my wrists, elbows and back r already shot from that, the last thing i wana do in my spare time is swing a 8 pound maul. $1000 is welll worth it if u can afford it.

I only hand-split the easy stuff. If you grip light, especially at impact, a lot less shock is transmitted to your hands, wrists and arms.

Reactions: NordicSplitter
I enjoy splitting by hand but i was always concious of finely selecting my 'free' wood as some of the Aussie Gum woods are practically impossible to split by hand. I have since bought a 28 ton splitter which means i can choose any free wood and also choose to split by hand or by power. I still enjoy splitting by hand as long as the rounds are splittable - but now i dont get daunted by the 'impossible' rounds. This also means i have more firewood. ::-)

I used to split by hand... the carpal tunnel that should have had surgery on a couple years ago has just ruined my grip. My uncle gave me the smaller of his homemade splitters (I will never use a 4' splitter), and while slow, it still is a 30 ton class splitter.

I have found my new nightmare woods... apple and pear. I split up my stash of smokewoods saturday.... the stuff just wont split... it gets sheared, smashed, and just breaks halfway though instead of splitting. being that this wood is for smoking, not heat... it is ok but damn what a PITA.

3 swings? Wow, I've had some stubborn silver maple rounds I've been working lately, and a few of those have taken me 30+ minutes alternating between the X27 and the 8 pound maul. I would say 75% of what I split takes more than 3 swings to get through though.

I've had some pine rounds... 40"+ that I was just trying to quarter to toss onto the burn pit. the log was half punky.. and I just was pounding on them with my maul and wedges. some split, some didn't.

... and yeah, if my very Irish wife pisses me off... I leave the splitter off and grab the maul.

My friend's kids have come over and watched me, they ended up helping.
The older son even brought a friend over and turned it into a sort of contest!
They tried to split the largest rounds the quickest, and split the most in 30 min.
It was fun to watch them go at it.
The best was that my friend's younger son asked for a Fiskars splitting maul for his birthday! He got one too!

Get a couple guys together, couple axes, provide beer and dinner and in 3 hours 3-4 bros can really make a heavy dent in a pile of wood.

Throw the crap crotchy pieces aside in a pile. Then buy a cheaper 200-300 dollar electric splitter and use that for the few pieces that suck, or use that as a bonfire pile.

but yea it can suck if you are expected to take care of all the splitting by hand yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.