1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Splitting by hand

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Lewiston, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Nickolai

Nickolai Member

Loc:
    Western Ontario
    One might argue you get three heats from firewood, cutting, splitting and piling.
    There's no other workout like it, go outside, turn your brain off and split until your back says you're done.
    I too love this time of year.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    See, there are numerous uses for the milk crate! ;)
  3. Eric Schaefer

Eric Schaefer New Member

Loc:
    Lakewood, WA
    lol, we have a green milk crate, holds the 1gal of mix, 1gal bar oil, my chain file, bar greaser, rags, gloves and extra chains perfectly.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    That's funny Eric. I use a milk crate for that too but it is wire instead of plastic.
  5. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    I also use a milk crate to hold my gas jug, chain oil and fire extinguisher.
    Here in my area of BC you are suppose to have a fire extinguisher and a shovel with you on site to comply with the BC firewood cutting permit. It's a good rule actually, as things can get real dry here.
  6. Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid Atlantic
    I plan to continue hand splitting, especially when needing to reduce the weight of rounds so I can pick them up. But I'm not all that big, and I'm getting old enough to be losing some strength. I just bought a little 5 ton electric splitter. That's going to keep me in wood burning, but I still welcome the exercise I get from hand splitting. Just a matter of pacing oneself and accepting that one is no longer 20 years old. Gratefully, no major back problems so far...;)
  7. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    Another hand splitter here. I usually take the dog out and throw his ball and whack a log while he is looking for it. I usually do this for an hour or so. We both get out workouts in this way. When you are a year ahead on wood you can split it at your leisure so it doesn't seem like too much work at one time.
  8. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    I split by hand. I cut my trees on my brother's property and I try to cut and split the wood the day I drop it so it doesn't get in his way. I cant run a chainsaw for more than an hour cutting the trees to length without my back bothering me, so I alternate the cutting with splitting. It works pretty well with mostly red maple and birch. Beech on the other hand is not so pleasant. I do have a pile of "ugly wood" that sits around until I finally decide to take out some frustration. Unfortunately its tough getting a year ahead.

The 10 ton DR electric splitter looks interesting, I have surplus power from my PV system so it would cheaper and a lot quieter to run than a gas splitter.