Splitting crankcase on 028

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blel

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2008
Southeast CT
Anyone have experience replacing clutch side of 028 crankcase? I broke the housing for the brake spring (where brake handle mounts) and not sure the best way to fix it. The saw runs fine so I think it is worth fixing with used parts. Not sure to get 1/2 crankcase or a whole one. Is it a pain to get the seal right when reassembling? I think I know pretty much what is involved in stripping it down but not sure of splitting crankcase.

I would check in on the Arborsite board. Those boys know saws.

Not sure you can get just half a case or if it's advisable to try... Don't know about that saw but a lot of situations where you have parts that need to fit together precisely for reasons of alignment or bearing surfaces, the parts are manufactured as a matched set, and it isn't safe to "mix & match" them...

+1 on asking about it on Arboristsite to be sure though...

Gooserider

Thanks for the info. There are 1/2 cases out there but it sounds a lot easier to get a whole one. I can't believe there are so many different versions of an 028 crankcase, especially the clutch side. I did look on Arborsite and there is tons of info there.

Thanks again.

The other option might be to try and get your existing case fixed - Don't know how bad it's broken, but there are guys out there that are wizards with a TIG or Heliarc unit that may be able to help...

Gooserider

Thanks, I might take it to a welding shop and see what they say.

waste of time. send me your saw, i'll take it off your hands for the cost of shipping...

Danno77 said:
waste of time. send me your saw, i'll take it off your hands for the cost of shipping...

Actually since these saws are a piece of junk I was waiting for someone to offer to send me one. Gladly pay for shipping. Going to see what the welder says this PM.

I have a 028 that I could send you for the cost of S&H. Run very well. Shipping should be about $35, but my handling fee would have to be $ 699.00 Let me know. :cheese:

’bert said:
I have a 028 that I could send you for the cost of S&H. Run very well. Shipping should be about $35, but my handling fee would have to be $ 699.00 Let me know. :cheese:
crap, you can have mine for the same cost minus the shipping fees (I'll even knock $3 off the handling fees)

It's great to see everybody in a real giving mood this Christmas season. I'm getting all choked up just reading these posts. The generosity is overwhelming.

He said he could do it, He does a lot of stainless fabrication for boats. I'll send pic after he does it (next week)

It took me about an hour and a half to get this pic on here.

Attachments

• Photo024.jpg
    Photo024.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 194
Status
Not open for further replies.