Splitting done Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Split some Cherry & Basswood that I cut up last year, it was nice to finally get back in the woods and work. 1st picture is the Cherry cut up and stacked for the winter, the second is the Cherry split and the third is the Basswood split, I still have about 30 good size rounds of Basswood left to split.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0475.jpg
    100_0475.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 511
  • 100_0477.jpg
    100_0477.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 528
  • 100_0479.jpg
    100_0479.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 510
Looks good Zap. How is that basswood to burn? Good for shoulder season?

ohio woodburner said:

I here it burns real quick but it was down so I'll use it for the shoulder season, it will be my first time burning basswood.

Zap

It will burn quick zap, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't burn it. You will do fine.

That's also a nice looking splitter you have there. lol Seems I've seen that before.

Backwoods Savage said:
It will burn quick zap, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't burn it. You will do fine.

That's also a nice looking splitter you have there. lol Seems I've seen that before.

Sav I'm glad I bought it, I noticed today a sticker on it that said Made In The U.S.A are they still made in the U.S.A.

zap

Zap, I think they are still made here. One company makes several models under different names. Don't quote me but I'm thinking they are made in Ohio but I do not know for sure. Probably someone else will chime in on that point. It really doesn't matter though because we both have some good equipment with those splitters.

btw, mine will probably wait a bit again before I split much. Between the body problems and today it snowed all day, I will just sit and think about it for a while. lol

How does that Basswood split? Mine was kind a tuff, split better when frozen.

Todd said:
How does that Basswood split? Mine was kind a tuff, split better when frozen.

This split real easy.

zap

Lumbar Jack Zap has struck again!

ohio woodburner said:
I really like big wood

It burns fast, but I went through about a cord of it this season and felt it through enough heat to make splitting it up worth my time. I just brought a variety of splits inside, and used the basswood when I was around the house and could throw a couple of chunks in every couple hours. Burned fine though, just like wood.

Some work is relaxing, like splitting fire wood :)
See you did it vertical, work OK?
Still see some snow in the background, but it looks like ti's going fast.
Here too, finally. 40°f days mid 20 nights.
Good job

bogydave said:
Some work is relaxing, like splitting fire wood :)
See you did it vertical, work OK?
Still see some snow in the background, but it looks like ti's going fast.
Here too, finally. 40°f days mid 20 nights.
Good job

I split vertical the majority of the time and yes it works great plus saves on the back.

zap

Yes, Zap does it the right way. He is a fast learner.

Status
Not open for further replies.