Splitting Hickory

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried this:John Deere 500c backhoe sharpend a frost breaking tooth set up the 16" Americam rock elm Raised the boom up 12' and let her rip. Nada, nothing, it did not split. At that point I applied full hydralics and all the downward pressure the only thing that happened is I lifted the entire 10 tons of machinery off the ground but no split. Thats a lot weight and down force and nothing happened. I can rip the tree out of the ground but it could not split it?

As a follow-up, I decided to hitch up my Big Boy Pants this weekend and have another go at splitting the hickory rounds by hand. It would take five or six good whacks with te Fiskar maul to get the first split started, but then it was smooth sailing thereafter. I have a couple dozen 16" rounds to tackle over the next few weeks. I think I'll be fine. Thanks again for all the good advice. H.

Status
Not open for further replies.