1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Splitting Hickory

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Haston, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

I tried this:John Deere 500c backhoe sharpend a frost breaking tooth set up the 16" Americam rock elm Raised the boom up 12' and let her rip. Nada, nothing, it did not split. At that point I applied full hydralics and all the downward pressure the only thing that happened is I lifted the entire 10 tons of machinery off the ground but no split. Thats a lot weight and down force and nothing happened. I can rip the tree out of the ground but it could not split it?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Haston

Haston Member

As a follow-up, I decided to hitch up my Big Boy Pants this weekend and have another go at splitting the hickory rounds by hand. It would take five or six good whacks with te Fiskar maul to get the first split started, but then it was smooth sailing thereafter. I have a couple dozen 16" rounds to tackle over the next few weeks. I think I'll be fine. Thanks again for all the good advice. H.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.