Splitting-It's been awhile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
I took on the little pile of Red Oak rounds that have been sitting on the North side of the house for 3 years. Some rounds are gonna have to wait for something with more power to split them but the Fiskars 23.5" splitting axe did alright. I'm sure it would have been far more effective if my landings were more in line but with my eyes thats as good as it's gonna get!

Attachments

• ro11.jpg
    ro11.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 444
  • ro22.jpg
    ro22.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 437
Nice job! Looks like some good wood in there yet. Were a few of them still wet, or not?

Yes, that should be some very good wood. That axe still does not look that great to me. Maybe if it had a decent handle....

Thanks guys
The splits are all pretty dry and light. I hope to get a MM this week. It's definitely the driest wood n the pile though!! There was one round that has sat vertical all that time and it is wet and frozen right to the core.

The splitter would make short work of easy splitting wood unless you have a really fast swing I guess. It's comfortable for me to swing but now I want a maul and some wedges. I need to work smarter not harder lol

My buddy and his wife came up from Maryland to visit. He's a young fella about 25 years old and around 6'4" and 320lb's and I wanted to see what he could do with the Fiskars on a couple of those red oak rounds that I was unable to split. He was able to bury it right in the round but the rounds hung in there and finally split. Poor kid only split 2 rounds and earlier today he called and said his back was sore and he had a blood blister!!

I was talking with another friend about the Fiskars and how it's just not enough and later that night he showed up with a new maul! He picked me up a Ludell Maul 8lb. :)

I used a fiskars but one time, it was at my god mother's house with my uncle. I thought it was an alright axe, but I split my wood with an 8 pound maul, and if that fails I have some wedges and a 10 pound sledge. My ace in hole is my grenade wedge--- love it.

8# is so unbalanced. The handle weighs nearly as much as the head :wow:

Status
Not open for further replies.