Splitting more (smaller) than necessary?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
For the first time in almost 2 years I bought some wood that was split. Some pieces were much larger than I'd split them. I now wonder if I'm splitting more than necessary. I did burn a few of larger pieces - they did burn down to ash so maybe it's good to have a few larger ones on hand for a longer burn time.

The photo shows 2 of the pieces I bought on the top, the rest I split.

split size.jpg

Honestly I split most of mine on the larger side, 5-6” splits, mostly because I’m 3 years ahead. I can always split it smaller if I need to but my goal is to get it split, stacked and drying as quickly as possible when the splitting starts. For me it’s a production thing

Honestly I split most of mine on the larger side, 5-6” splits, mostly because I’m 3 years ahead. I can always split it smaller if I need to but my goal is to get it split, stacked and drying as quickly as possible when the splitting starts. For me it’s a production thing

Nice being that far ahead. I'm behind, so to save time and get more at least split and stacked I may use your method once I'm caught up.

Reactions: D8Chumley
For the first time in almost 2 years I bought some wood that was split. Some pieces were much larger than I'd split them. I now wonder if I'm splitting more than necessary. I did burn a few of larger pieces - they did burn down to ash so maybe it's good to have a few larger ones on hand for a longer burn time.

The photo shows 2 of the pieces I bought on the top, the rest I split.

View attachment 221321
Larger splits will dry more slowly but that might not be a problem if the wood was pretty dry to start with, if it's a fast-drying species, or if you aren't planning to burn it soon. For example, I routinely split oak pretty thin because it's slow to dry and I want to be able to burn it in my lifetime. ;)

Nice being that far ahead. I'm behind, so to save time and get more at least split and stacked I may use your method once I'm caught up.
I’m that far ahead for the last 2 years. It took me the previous 3+ to get that far ahead lol. Lots of bust-ass sessions with the saw, quad/trailer and splitter. Burning wood c/s/s in ‘14 this year

You split a size that you know works for you. A lot of guys splitting to sell are likely processing a lot of wood and their goal is to get it split to sell, but not necessarily to the optimum size for you to burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Experiment to see what size you need to stuff your stove full with the biggest splits! Increase your burn times and decrease your processing time! Once you have decide the size get ahead so you can cruise into each season with the warm fuzzy feeling that you have the best wood possible for your situation! I am in it for the long haul and at least 3 years ahead...this year I split some 8 in pieces..a couple of those will go in front and center in my stove where the intake air hits for those bitter colds nights when I am pushing my stove.The rest of my splits are in the 4-6 in range...they all have their place and it works for me.

Couple things. I think you are cutting fine. Some are smaller but even those are good to have to stuff in the small spots. I put big pieces in my stove for overnight and day time fires when it’s not super cold. I get hotter fires with a stove filled with 5-6 smaller splits, but longer burns on the big pieces at around 250-300.

I a lot of times will cut a log in half and stack it. When I want it I usually just split it before I load it. Seems to season fine this way and it is less handling At least that’s how it feels haha.

As someone else said a person selling wood want s to handle it as little as possible before selling. Those are big pieces for regular firewood customers I would think, but not really crazy unless the entire load is that size.

The other thing is judging by the bark thickness and the number of rings, that is an old and big red oak it looks like. He probably split that log 10 times already haha.

Thanks for the info. I suppose it's good to have large and smaller sizes on hand. I've kept some stubborn to split pieces, such as those with a knot or an unusual twist - on the large size. Yea I'll bet that oak has been split at least 10 times so far. It burned nicely leaving it as shown.

I always like to have a variety on hand. I load both my stoves for overnight and at work burns with 2-4 larger splits before filling in the gaps with smaller stuff. I'm also finding this year that, while all my splits are running 16-18% mc, the rounds(even smaller ones) are running 22-30% mc. So ill be splitting the small stuff even smaller to make sure it dries out.

I suppose it's good to have large and smaller sizes on hand.
Exactly. You will always find a use for just about any size you have. After five years of this, I purposely split a variety of sizes for the varying seasons and days.

If you are trying to dry it a bit faster, split it smaller and stack it with good air flow.

the further ahead I am, the larger my splits are! I like the bigger splits when they are dried out, but after burning small ones, it is sometimes easy to trick yourself into thinking that the big ones are ready, then you curse yourself when the temps drop...

I like a mix of small and large, smalls burn faster and throw off the heat, then once my home is warmed up ill burn larger chunks for longer "cooler" burn times. My wife hates it when I stuff a huge chunk into our tube stove, says "it'll never burn", they always do.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
I always like to have a variety on hand. I load both my stoves for overnight and at work burns with 2-4 larger splits before filling in the gaps with smaller stuff. I'm also finding this year that, while all my splits are running 16-18% mc, the rounds(even smaller ones) are running 22-30% mc. So ill be splitting the small stuff even smaller to make sure it dries out.

What does 'mc' represent?

I have had oak rounds 4" to 8" in stacks for 3 to 5 years that have rotted. So from now on I go ahead and split

I have had oak rounds 4" to 8" in stacks for 3 to 5 years that have rotted. So from now on I go ahead and split

It seems like wood could be seasoned too long. I got some wood from my neighbor's yard that was like that. It was probably sitting for close to 5 years. He had a wood stove, split wood until about 3-4 years before he passed away at age 98. Having a wood stove and it's related work is probably one of the reasons he made it to that age.

If your wood is covered from precipitation, it will keep almost forever unless it is something with a very low permeability bark like birch, that has to be split. I'm burning wood right now that is 8 years old and it is in great shape, was always covered. MC is right around 15%.

Reactions: au2183 and Tar12
If your wood is covered from precipitation, it will keep almost forever unless it is something with a very low permeability bark like birch, that has to be split. I'm burning wood right now that is 8 years old and it is in great shape, was always covered. MC is right around 15%.

That must burn well. Is your wood covered by a tarp or a structure?