Splitting small rounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Got Wood

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
Dutchess Cty, NY
I put my new Huskee 22 ton to work over the weekend, splitting roughly a cord of mixed hardwoods - mostly maple. One thing I noticed is that using the huskee its alot easier (thus, I did it more) to split the smaller diameter rounds (like the 3-4"). I believe splitting them in half is worth while to aid seasoning - those little ones seem to hold moisture a long time. Hand splitting requires delicate balancing and good aim. Much more effective and efficient using the huskee.

Ja, I split everything that can be split, right down to about 2 inch dia. The ratio of bark to exposed end grain is high on the small stuff so some species won't dry well through the bark and splitting it certainly helps

Sounds like that new splitter is working out good for you. Have you learned yet that you don't have to let the ram go all the way back up each time? It sure saves a lot of time by stopping it so it will be just above for the next piece or next split. Also, you might try my method of making kindling with the splitter. Get a maple with no knots; just a clean log and go to work on it. You'll find it makes kindling super fast and really easy. Just don't get the hands in the way of that splitter!

Thanks BW... using a splitter isnt new to me - owning one is! I enjoy the manual splitting but my shoulder doesnt agree.... yep, stopping the return at the right height is a time saver

I find splitting small rounds by hand with my Fiskers is quicker than using the splitter. I pile about 6-8 small rounds inside my 20" tire that is placed a top my splitting log and go to town with the Fiskers. takes about a min. to load the tire split and unload the split rounds. This is with straight wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.