Splitting/Stacking done (Pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Weather was dry again to day. Got the last of it split & stacked.
A little over 5 cords.
No mountains today, 33°, clouds but no snow :)
Will get a better pic on a sunny day.
100_8157.JPG100_8159.JPG100_8160.JPG100_8162.JPG

Attachments

• 100_8163.JPG
    100_8163.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 270
  • 100_8165.JPG
    100_8165.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 260
Very nice Dave. Looks great.

WHEW!
I got some stuff split today, but not that much.
Are you done now? For this year, I mean.:cool:

Well. Good question. Are we ever done?
This finishes of 14/15 & a big start on 15/16.
If the weather holds, I'll see if I can get 3 more cords. Then, 15/16 would be done too.
I'm just getting to not feel so sore. Working the soreness out feels good.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice work bogydave. How often do you crossbrace?

I'm just about at the same point, Dave.
Working up an Oak that should net about 1/2 cord, and a bunch of Maple that I won't be done with until the snow gets too bad.
Of course, when I get the new stove, this could end up being 16-17 wood.:cool:

Dave, your an animal. I'm going to start calling you beaver dave instead. Again awesome stacks. Hopefully the moose and bear dont use those stacks as back scratchers. Be well

Nice work bogydave. How often do you crossbrace?

Thanks
Every 4 to 5 pallets, 16' roughly.

that is alot of wood, so that is why your saw needs a new chain.

Yep
Wish I'd have kept track how much wood I cut with it.
Had some scrounges & help neighbor do some cutting, with the same chain.
8 - 10 cords sound about right for 1 chain?

After seeing such fine work as you have here, it makes me want to give up my passion for wood and maybe take up stamp collecting! Those stacks are something to be proud of!

Simply awesome Dave...a lot of hard work that will definitely pay off.

Wow. I think I'm beginning to have wood envy issues.

Reactions: Blue2ndaries
HOLY CRAP !!!!...my back hurts just lookin' at that....great job....that would of taken my a couple of weekends and at least a 30 pack

Thanks
Every 4 to 5 pallets, 16' roughly.

Yep
Wish I'd have kept track how much wood I cut with it.
Had some scrounges & help neighbor do some cutting, with the same chain.
8 - 10 cords sound about right for 1 chain?

No. You should get much more than that. I'll see if I got the record on when I put the last chain on but it was a long time ago and we cut usually 5-6 cord or more per year.

Wow Dave very impressive and NEAT wood stacks!

Ray

66fa2d707a4f714a82d57e1650f116a3.jpg

All done with the wood put up here the snow beat me before I could get the new shed full so I will have to deal with tarps just one more winter maybe I shhould have enough in the shed for this winter and hopefully won't have to visit the stacks

31d5f62f22533c70926d835ad87499ea.jpg

Taken about 15 minutes ago had to start on getting my walking path clear
bsj, Looks like the lawn mower is done for the year, and I had to mow this evening, 76 deg. at 4:30 today.
And Dave, you sure you don't use a brick mason's string !

No. You should get much more than that. I'll see if I got the record on when I put the last chain on but it was a long time ago and we cut usually 5-6 cord or more per year.

I think the dirt dulls it & maybe I'm filing too much when I sharpen it.
I sharpen it after each trip.
I find the worst tooth, file it sharp the hit all the others with the same # of file stokes.
Have been a few rock hits on this one, had to take a bunch off to get it sharp & close to even

bsj, Looks like the lawn mower is done for the year, and I had to mow this evening, 76 deg. at 4:30 today.
And Dave, you sure you don't use a brick mason's string !

bsj: Niece is hear from Fairbanks, said they got 3 days of snow. I bet her plce looks like yours WINTER!

Nice shed, you can still fill it, sublimation will evaporate the snow off the wood in a few days ;)

Todd, the row is crocked as a dogs hind leg. Picture just makes it look straight,
I use a 3 iron to get it straight, I slice 3 irons :)

25° & clear here at 9 PM

bsj: Niece is hear from Fairbanks, said they got 3 days of snow. I bet her plce looks like yours WINTER!

Nice shed, you can still fill it, sublimation will evaporate the snow off the wood in a few days ;)

Todd, the row is crocked as a dogs hind leg. Picture just makes it look straight,
I use a 3 iron to get it straight, I slice 3 irons :)

25° & clear here at 9 PM
You would get a kick out of my drive, Im all left handed and a natural hook to go with it. :oops:
My dad worked the pipeline up there that was back in the mid 70's, I remember him saying you could read a paper outside 24 hrs. a day cause of the northern lights time of year, and working in 70 below temps with the wind chill factor. Makes one think you could freeze dry wood. lol. I have all his photos from up there, lots of wilderness and wild life pics. Always thought I would enjoy to come up there, wanted to try my luck at one of them dog sleds,( thought # 2 ) wonder how much wood you could hull on the sled ???
Thanks for the pics Dave, and from all our Northern Friends ! they are enjoyable to view :)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
:eek: Wow Dave. Nice work. Time to relax a little and just look at it for a while. Nice feeling to see all that.

The pictures are a reminder to us folks in the lower 48 that winter is not too far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.