Splitting table

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorsuchmill

Mar 14, 2008
Central MD
I typically use my splitter in the horizontal position so I can stand up. The only problem I have is needing to set larger pieces aside as I reduce a log down into the final split form. Anyway, it occurred to me a small table or something next to the splitter would be a nice addition so the larger pieces wouldn't need to be re-lifted to be reworked. Does anyone sell something for this type of application or have any of you made/use your own? All ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.

Lee

Like this ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/24x-CRADLE-FIREWOOD-LOG-SPLITTER-TABLE-BACK-SAVER_W0QQitemZ270362039763QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item270362039763&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Thanks Brian - that might be just what I need. I hate to spend $100 for something like this, but in the long run it is probably money well spent.

What I do is put a stack of pallets on the opposite side from where I stand.I can place rounds on them and work them from there.It can hold about ten round.

I just stand up a large round on the far side of the beam. It's free and when I don't need it anymore, I split it. Works for me.

I made both of mine for my splitter. If you have the tools and know how they are pretty easy to make.

Thanks for the replies. I'm fairly handy, but don't have a welder, so I'll have to think of how to affix something to the I-beam. The large round idea seems good, but I'm thinking my table should be 30-36" high, so the round would end up being fairly heavy. I need the whole set-up to be portable, as I often take the splitter into the woods, split there and load into a cart as each piece is split to size.

I made mine out of a couple of beam clamps, some spring nuts, and some unistrut. If you know any commercial electricians, just use those terms and he / she will be able to fix you up. If you like I could go snap a pic or two for you. Total cost less then $ 30.00

North of 54th - I'm not aware of those terms nor do I presently know any electricians. If you don't mind, a pic or two would be great. Seeing what you're talking about should be enough for me to throw something together. If you'd rather pm the pics to me, that would be fine as well.

Thanks.

northof54th said:
Total cost less then $ 30.00
Unistrut is VERY expensive so your electrician friend must have scrounged some for free. $30 might pay for the bolts.

I was able to scrounge some Kindorf free and ordered 2 beam clamps from Grainger. I'll mount some 2x4 or 4x4 to the top of the Kindorf to act as a screw bed, then run some 5/4 decking for the top of the platform. I should be all in for about $20. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Here are the pics I offered, sorry it took a little longer. I guess mine is a bit more of a log catcher, more so then a splitting table. I should also add that it has only seem limited use. I suspect that it will allow bark and other debris to fall thru and hold only the larger split pieces, which is what I wanted. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Attachments

• Web2.JPG
    Web2.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 555
  • Web3.JPG
    Web3.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 546
  • Web1redo.JPG
    Web1redo.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 571
I got mine from the ebay guy posted above and it works well. I figured that my time is worth something so by the time I jack around trying to cobble something together it would be easier to just buy one premade.

Well here it is. As stated above, the kindorf was free and the rest was about $20. I'm quite pleased with the final result and was able to sit on it with no apparent problem. The only change I may make is to add a guard along the engine side to prevent anything from rolling onto the motor, though I really don't see that as a significant concern. The last pic is a little blurry, but shows the type of beam clamp I used.

Attachments

• IMG_3960.jpg
    IMG_3960.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_3961.jpg
    IMG_3961.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_3962.jpg
    IMG_3962.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_3963.jpg
    IMG_3963.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 465
North -

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I figure it should the amount of lifting I do roughly in half. The back should be thrilled, as well as the stomach from needing less Advil at the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.