Splitting the Y

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood spliter

Jan 8, 2010
Long Island, ny
My favorate thing about a splitter is those piceses you can't split with a maul.

Attachments

• split.jpg
    split.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 549
Splitter are quite awesome...

Not sure why I held off buying one for so long, I love splitting now and no sore shoulders any more!

wood splitter, what kind of splitter do you have? Where did you get it? if you don't mind me asking.

Heehee! Sure is fun, isn't it?

I put a big nasty crotch in the splitter and laugh, thinking about the tendinitis that I won't be getting in my elbows.

Quick hit through the forky or knotty part with chainsaw, they quick hit w/wedge and/or maul, and it's done.

Then I enjoy not paying for splitter, nor maintaining or storing. In the eye of the beholder, eh?

I'm with you Yank. Love splitting by hand. Good workout too.

CTYank said:
Quick hit through the forky or knotty part with chainsaw, they quick hit w/wedge and/or maul, and it's done.

Then I enjoy not paying for splitter, nor maintaining or storing. In the eye of the beholder, eh?
That was all a thought but time is a factor for me. So I'll take the storage. I also take to job sites when wood is to big to lift.

I try to workout 3-5 times a week. I'll jog a few miles around the neighborhood, lift weights at the gym or spend an hour briskly splitting rounds.

Wood splitter, you are right about the hydraulics. On the cutting though, I would have cut so you did not have that one side sticking out further than the rest. I try to cut right up to where you cut that other limb off as it makes for better stacking, especially when it comes to putting it in the stove.

Sav, most of my stuff is from contractor and sometimes he dumps it at the house. I try not to re cut if possible. And those guys cut to get the job done ASAP. If I cut my own I do keep them all straight.

This year I was going for ALL HAND SPLIT. I've done well, but I am down to a pile of maybe 20 or more stubborn rounds. It's not enough to justify renting a splitter. I think I will scrounge a couple more pick up loads of rounds to make up enough for a days worth of splitting or share a splitter rental with a neighbor.

I am all set for next year - my stacks are done. Just need to clean up some.

wood spliter said:
Cygnus, I do a martial arts work out 3-4 times a week and 1-2 kettle classes. I also have my daughters involved with martial arts (among a few other sports).

Martial arts AND kettles! That Y should be no problem for you with a sharp Fiskars!

wood splitter who do you use as a contractor? I would not want to mess up what you've got going, but if he has a plethora of wood, I'd be interested in calling him. I would love if you could PM me the info - again I do not want to mess with what ever good thing you have going, but I'm looking to make a good contact in the tree business. Let me know what's good. Thanks.

Quads posted a video a while back.
1 whack with mr fiskers.
Now fisk has a new handle, so not sure it's as easy now

Nice splitter.

bogydave said:
Quads posted a video a while back.
1 whack with mr fiskers.
Now fisk has a new handle, so not sure it's as easy now

Nice splitter.
It was more than one swing though.....same as with new handle. The new wooden handle is not going to last anywhere near the 25+ years of the old polypropylene/fiberglass core handle.

And this is not normally how I cut the Y. I cut one side off flush, as in the above video, just like Dennis describes. The only reason I cut this one funny was just for purposes of the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.