splitting tire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can stuff three, four, sometimes five smaller rounds in my tire, pick up the X27 once and split them all with one swing each. But they all stay in the tire so I don't have to bend down to pick up all the splits again. (I split on a big round, not the ground). Same goes for one larger round..... Most times all the splits stay IN the tire and I don't have to pick em up again. That's why I use the tire. There is a lot of work in what we do here.... The tire takes just a little but of the work out if it.

Maybe some people just like bending over more than others...;)

Reactions: Ashful
Most times all the splits stay IN the tire and I don't have to pick em up again

sure you do, you have to sit and take each one out of the tire after its split. I split mine on a stump round, after its split it falls off on its own and i can put the next round up there to split. You have to put them in the tire, then bend over and take them back out again to put more in. Seems like an extra step to me.

The block that I mount my tire to is only about 10" thick. I don't have to pick up the round too high.

sure you do, you have to sit and take each one out of the tire after its split. I split mine on a stump round, after its split it falls off on its own and i can put the next round up there to split. You have to put them in the tire, then bend over and take them back out again to put more in. Seems like an extra step to me.

Not with larger logs that need 4 or more splits. Nothing is more annoying to me than lifting a log that needs quartered on the splitting block, and then after the first swing both halves fall off and I have to lift them both up to split again.

So I suppose once your splits fall off the block and land on the ground you just leave them there? Of course you don't - you bend over, pick the splits up and throw them into your pile, or pick up truck, or wagon, or whatever.

So what is the extra step involved with putting a round in a tire, splitting it, then taking the splits out of the tire and putting them on the pile? There is no "extra step" and there's less bending over involved when you use the tire because the splits never fall out of the tire.

And then of course there's the rounds that need to be split more than once -

Using your method will often result in splits that need to be split again - so you have to bend over, pick those bigger splits up, put them on the block and split them again, then bend over, pick them up and toss them on the pile.

Use a tire and you do a lot less bending over.

But like I said before - if you actually like bending over and picking up splits off the ground - who am I to argue?

Reactions: Ashful
I haven't tried the tire method out, but like the idea of it. I'll have to give it a shot this weekend.

ok, you have some valid points i guess. I have an old tire laying around somewhere, maybe i'll give it a whirl.

The only old tire I have here is a 40" x 17" x 15" Ground Hawg. I don't suppose that would work too well...

groundhawg.jpg

Reactions: tsquini
For the record, not my vehicles, but I had a 1978 Bronco with those same tires about 20 years ago. Sat at the same height as that Blazer, but I had proper cut-outs / flares on my fenders, and heavy duty axles. This guy is going to have crunched rockers, if he ever actually takes that Blazer off road.

Not sure I understand "you have to sit and take each one out... after split." My splitting block is a bit higher than knee high for me. I don't sit. I'm 6'7" tall, so I lift the round (or rounds) into the tire. Split them all. Then I take them out of the tire and either set them into the back of the ranger or onto the stack directly. I don't have to bend down to do this, even at my height. Splitting red oak, if I split a 12" round with one strike, without the tire I would be picking the half splits up off the ground to split them again.... and once again they go on the ground. Repeat until everything is sized the way I want. With the tire, I split the round as I want.... no bending over to replace the split because they ALL stay in the tire. Well, not always. Sometimes they still like to jump out when I swing too hard. But not often.

I'm not saying your way is wrong, but since I found the tire method here I won't do it the other way again.

Status
Not open for further replies.