Splitting vertical came to an abrupt halt tonight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
I started to split some cherry I gathered this weekend and figured while I'm all sweaty and those big sycamore quarters are starting at me why not put the splitter into vertical and finally get them done. I was making good time and thinking that maybe I can get them all done before dark when the cylinder/ram assembly came crashing down! Apparently one of the clasps must have worked off the pin that holds the cylinder to the I-beam from vibration and the pin finally worked itself out of the hole. Or, maybe there never was a second one on the pin because I just don't remember checking it. I looked all around where I was working and even checked the area that I was splitting at last time but I can't find the other clasp.

No biggie(other than having to stop for the night) as it doesn't appear any damage was done and I'm sure the part needed won't break the bank. I don't want this to happen again though, so what would you do to prevent this. All I can come up with is once installed I would wrap them in duct tape?

Attachments

• P1010864.jpg
    P1010864.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 500
Aw, get a chunk of rebar in there and get back to work. :coolsmirk:

I have had these come off too and I don't like the design of that keeper. It looks like it's sprung to fail if hit once. Maybe you could drill a hole in it and put in a big cotter key?

Zip tie on the open end.

Well, I would put a clevis pin clip on the other side to and go split some wood.

Glad that cylinder didn't fall on your head and hurt ya.

I had posted before I took the clip off and based on how hard it was to take it off I wonder if there actually a a clip on the other side as I don't recall ever hitting the pin. But, I guess if there wasn't one it would have fallen of long before now and I have split about 4 cords. Drilling a hole and a large pin was what I had in mind. Yep, that cylinder is fairly heavy and def would have done some body damage! Yet another reason to keep your hands clear of everything while splitting.

muncybob said:
I started to split some cherry I gathered this weekend and figured while I'm all sweaty and those big sycamore quarters are starting at me why not put the splitter into vertical and finally get them done. I was making good time and thinking that maybe I can get them all done before dark when the cylinder/ram assembly came crashing down! Apparently one of the clasps must have worked off the pin that holds the cylinder to the I-beam from vibration and the pin finally worked itself out of the hole. Or, maybe there never was a second one on the pin because I just don't remember checking it. I looked all around where I was working and even checked the area that I was splitting at last time but I can't find the other clasp.

No biggie(other than having to stop for the night) as it doesn't appear any damage was done and I'm sure the part needed won't break the bank. I don't want this to happen again though, so what would you do to prevent this. All I can come up with is once installed I would wrap them in duct tape?

Good that the cylinder/ram assembLEE missed ya, I'll be checking mine after this close call.

gibir

Instead of a little spring clip like that, my splitter has a hole through the top of the "bolt" and the beam is secured with a lynch pin.

EDIT: Oops. Misread this. I thought you were talking about the bolt that holds the beam to the tongue when the beam is horizontal. I see now that you were talking about the clip that holds the cylinder to the beam.

Two solutions:
1.) Drill hole and use cotter pin (should be backed by large washer if you do this).
2.) You could definatLee weld a large washer to one side (think head of a nail) and then only one pin is needed. This would be my personal choice.

I just knew vertical splitting was dangerous. :coolsmirk:

One more reason not to split vertically.
Yeah, I said it.

S

Vertical rules!

At least this won't cost much to fix as it is an easy fix for sure. Well, they say much can be fixed with duct tape....

Vertical for sure! Save the horizontal positions for other activities.

thinkxingu said:
One more reason not to split vertically.
Yeah, I said it.

S

Hehheh . . . someone said what I was thinking! ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.