Splitting Vertically (Calling Mr Savage....)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbonNeutral

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2009
Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
I rarely split vertically - just for the very big stuff. However, I find that getting the round to stay on the splitter platform is tricky - I've tried wedging the front, but even then it still tends to move around during splitting, or just fall out as the wedge comes down.

I've wondered about digging a small hole out for the splitter beam end to drop into so that's it's level with the ground around, but I wonder if there's something else that others do.

I've split some really big rounds vertically. (Everything I split I do vertically). If you get an odd shape piece where both sides are not flat (angled) it can slide off the stand, but I've never really had any issues. Just turn it or jam it in there so it doesn't kick out. You just need to find a way to make it bite. I eyeball the rounds and make sure the flat side is down. I've never had to prop a round up or wedge one. I am not sure if digging a hole would help or not. How high off the ground is your base plate? Is the ground level? are the wheels up on something? I may be using my free hand to push the round toward the beam at the top of the round if the wedge is coming down and not lining up right for the bite I want, but on 95% - no other adjustments are needed, just roll them in place and pull down on the lever.

basswidow said:
I've split some really big rounds vertically. (Everything I split I do vertically). If you get an odd shape piece where both sides are not flat (angled) it can slide off the stand, but I've never really had any issues. Just turn it or jam it in there so it doesn't kick out. You just need to find a way to make it bite. I eyeball the rounds and make sure the flat side is down. I've never had to prop a round up or wedge one. I am not sure if digging a hole would help or not. How high off the ground is your base plate? Is the ground level? are the wheels up on something?

+1

I'll add that my one complaint about the Huskee is the small size of the base plate.

I agree. The base could be larger. Some spikes in it would be nice too. Nothing fancy - just a non - slip like surface other than the smooth like most.

My huskee does have four protruding spikes - maybe it's just the shape rounds I get (and my incompetence). I will try the bury method though, just to see if it's easier to push the round into place

This may seem a bit too obvious and maybe I'm missing part of the equation, but what about just holding the top of the round with your hand until the wedge gets into it? Most of the stuff I've had has had two out of square ends. All I do is rest the butt end on the plate and if it won't sit straight enough to split I just lean it up there with my hand, knee or foot. I can't imagine that digging a hole for the base would be a reasonable solution here...when you've got the splitter set right, the base plate is basically even with the ground and hit it ust enough to give the splitter a bit of an anchor point and keep it from rolling. You'd have to let the air out of the tires to make a hole be effective.

The Huskee 22 ton splitter I'm using has a non slip surface, as does the other Huskee 22 ton splitter I used this past spring. The plate is definitely smaller than it could be, but I can't say it was even noticable as a problem...I wouldn't list it as a complaint of mine in the least. But thats just me.

I'm talking really big rounds- so much so that holding them in place and reaching the lever would be tricky...

Oops - I don't have a Huskee. The splitter I use is a rental and the base is smooth. Maybe its worn down.

I also use my knees to position the round. If the round is too big, maybe sledge and wedge it once or twice for a more managable size? Quarter the pie.

CarbonNeutral said:
I'm talking really big rounds- so much so that holding them in place and reaching the lever would be tricky...

That's when my wife comes out to help with the splitting! ;)

certified106 said:
That's when my wife comes out to help with the splitting! ;)
PFFT! and then I wake up.

How about just tossing a split under the round to hold it in place?

They certainly do make the plates smaller these days. I've seen them at the TSC and thought that if I were to have one of those, I'd probably fashion cobble together a small platform that would fit right up against the butt plate. It would have to be built into a U shape so you'd have both sides and the front. Then no matter what size round you placed on the plate, the round would be flat.

btw, on ours, I recall when I split some humgous white oak rounds for a neighbor. He did not think my splitter would do the job (he had a splitter run by his tractor at the time). It did take two of us to wrestle those big suckers onto the splitter, but it was easy work for the splitter and I did not (nor couldn't) do anything to square the round (it did set on a bit of an angle. We made short work of a bunch of huge white oaks. The very next day, he went out and bought a splitter similar to ours.

CarbonNeutral said:

How big is really big? You could always bisect them with the chainsaw then split the halves...or prop up the sagging end with a smaller split to hold it in place. I can't see how you can get it on the plate by yourself if you can't support it.

I haven't put anything in there that was bigger than probably 2 feet in diameter, give or take a few inches. Maybe a hundred pounds or so, have no trouble doing as I describe with stuff like that...the way I see it, if you are able to move it to get it onto the splitting plate, you should be able to hold it in place for the couple seconds it takes to make contact with the wedge...if its so big and heavy that you can't hold it in palce, you probably shouldn't be moving it by yourself in the first place, the risk of a strain injury is too high for my comfort.

Just my 2 cents.

mayhem said:
CarbonNeutral said:

How big is really big? You could always bisect them with the chainsaw then split the halves...or prop up the sagging end with a smaller split to hold it in place. I can't see how you can get it on the plate by yourself if you can't support it.

I haven't put anything in there that was bigger than probably 2 feet in diameter, give or take a few inches. Maybe a hundred pounds or so, have no trouble doing as I describe with stuff like that...the way I see it, if you are able to move it to get it onto the splitting plate, you should be able to hold it in place for the couple seconds it takes to make contact with the wedge...if its so big and heavy that you can't hold it in palce, you probably shouldn't be moving it by yourself in the first place, the risk of a strain injury is too high for my comfort.

Just my 2 cents.

All good points...

This is one of those things where I thought others would have the same issues, but clearly it's just me :(

I'll try some of the suggestions out - many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.