Splitting Wedges Take Two

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nosetotail

Mar 3, 2016
Jacksonville, FL
Hey. I'm going to try this again. I'm shopping for a splitting wedge to go with the two standard and one grenade wedges that I have. I'm looking at the twisted wedges, but am a little taken by the price. I did find this steel twisted by Forester for about 16 dollars: http://www.forestershop.com/5lb-twi...twist-style-wedge&channelid=FROOG#prettyPhoto

So I'm wondering if the lack of teeth or grooves will make a big difference. Otherwise, I like the Stihl. So I would like to know your recommendations and I still would like some info on the durability of aluminum wedges. Seems like they would have a short life expectancy, but most of the quality twisted wedges are aluminum.

Just my .02 but I prefer the steel ones. Aluminum has its place, just not in splitting wedges. Felling wedges perhaps.

Yeah. That's what I'm thinking. I'm sure an aluminum wedge will split great, but I want to know that I will have this wedge for many years to come. It would seem to me that the aluminum would mushroom pretty quickly and I'm not sure it will hold an edge for very long. Of course it would be easier to sharpen and the mushroom would be easier to grind off.

Indeed it would. Tho many newer aluminum compounds are pretty good. Only difference is aluminum is lighter than steel, and more expensive. Weight, for me anyway, is not really an issue. Ill take the cheapo, disposable, steel anyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.