Splitting wedges

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the norm when the head of these starts to "mushroom"? Do you just take a grinder and smooth it out? Does it weaken the head?

Thanks

I just smooth out any jagged edges so it dont cut anyone and that doesnt happen often

jj3500 said:
What is the norm when the head of these starts to "mushroom"?

To throw them away and get a hydraulic splitter. :cheese: I kid...I kid!!!

Grind a distinct bevel on the edges to resist further mushrooming. I mostly use my old wedges as doorstops.

This is my favorite wedge. %-P
100_0346.jpg

The most important reason to grind off the mushroomed edges is that if they have cracks in them those edges can split off and fly like a bullet.

Years ago I had on old yard sale wedge with badly cracked, almost rolled over edges. I hit it a "little off center" once and a piece of that edge flew off with the buzzing sound of a ricochet bullet. It made an entrance and exit wound through my jeans and a wicked gash across the side of my kneecap. If that had been a kid standing nearby or a vehicle window it would have been real trouble. Wish I could have run that shrapnel through my chronograph, it was more like a bullet than I ever would have believed.

DaveBP...I would think they travel pretty fast but not nearly as what you described. Scary!

I saw a guy take one in the willie one time. Wear protection!

LLigetfa said:
I saw a guy take one in the willie one time. Wear protection!

sound like a jack@ss movie!lol

It was no movie and nobody was laughing. We were splitting a huge boulder bigger than a pickup truck using feathers and wedges. It was the last vacant residential lot in a new subdivision with all new homes around it so they wouldn't let us use dynamite.

Grind and bevel as mentioned - both for safety reasons and to keep the mushroom from preventing your driving the wedge below the surface of the wood on the tough splits...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.