splitting wood - chainsaw or maul?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

splitting wood - chainsaw or maul?

• Maul

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I TEAR MY WOOD ASUNDER WITH MY BARE HANDS. THE VERY FABRIC OF IT YEILDS TO MY GODLIKE GRASP.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiber

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
Philadelphia
splitting wood - chainsaw or maul, other?

The arborist guys seem to be in love with chainsaws.

I go with E) hydraulic splitter.

I use my chainsaw for cutting . . . saws by their very defnition are used to saw . . . saw, not split.

Mauls . . . once in a while if I'm too lazy to dig out my splitter or if I want to impress my wife I'll grab some wedges or more likely my ax and start whacking some wood . . . but if I had to split all my wood by hand I doubt I would be burning wood.

Reciprocating saw . . . uh, see the definition of what a saw is designed to do.

Didn't vote because there was no option for "both". I use a maul for easy splitters and the hydraulic splitter for mass splitting of big rounds. If the rounds are too large, then sledge and wedges.

For a saw I'd be using a chainsaw or for size reduction of splits, a chopsaw

People really "split" wood with a chainsaw? Seems like a waste and I can't say I've ever heard of anyone I know doing it....

Using a chainsaw to split wood seems like it would take a lot of time, and the chain can take a beating, cutting with the grain of the wood.

A good maul is a tried and true method, a hydraulic splitter is as well.

Personally I take advantage of a hydraulic splitter every chance I get, then supplement with my maul. I will use my saw to "start" a split if there are no visible cracks in the round and it won't budge.

------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhmKBDIAXd0 :coolsmile:

firefighterjake said:

I didn't think anyone actually owned one of these. I chalked it up to "expensive stove toys". Then again my frame of reference is that stoves are expensive.

The only time I ever use a chainsaw to "split" is when I have
a very large diameter (3'-4'+) log slices on the ground and they are still
a bit green and aren't splitting very well. Mostly Box Elder or Cottonwood

A couple of cuts from edge to center will make the slices real easy to reduce to manageable sizes with a maul.
I use the ol 075 on big wood like that and the extra time amounts to really nothing.
The shoestring swarf left behind when dry makes a good tinder if collected.

My maul of choice is a vintage TrueTemper 6 pounder, I have a newer 6 lb
maul but it has a longer taper and really gets stuck a lot and needs a sledge
ot free up. MM

stee6043 said:
People really "split" wood with a chainsaw? Seems like a waste and I can't say I've ever heard of anyone I know doing it....

its called noodling and on 40+in. trunks it can be a life saver on hardwood

I use a maul or, occasionally, the Fiskar's splitting ax I bought for the kids (maul is too heavy for the kids). If I find a tough piece, I set it aside until I am having a bad day and then beat on it until it splits or is reduced to chips. I once cut a big round vertically with the chainsaw just to see what a noodle is.

Carbon_Liberator said:
I've tried splitting wood with my chainsaw, but I found the handle isn't long enough to get a good swing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I got a visual of that.

tiber said:
firefighterjake said:

I didn't think anyone actually owned one of these. I chalked it up to "expensive stove toys". Then again my frame of reference is that stoves are expensive.

I think you will find that a good number of us here have hydro splitters. Your right about price, it's a hit up front, but run your stove 24/7 for a year and the amount you save on gas / oil / propane / electric will cover off the cost.

Therefore I also pick "E"

stee6043 said:

I too was amazed the first time I saw someone doing that. Amazing....and rather silly.

I've resorted to noodling on a few really gnarly fruitwood stumps and some knotty fir, but very rarely. A pair of wedges and a 5# sledge with a 24" handle is usually the trick for tough splitting. 90% of my splitting is with a 6 or 8 pound maul. I think I might ask for the Fiskars for Christmas though...

Answer D is as close as you get to my Fiskars (see avatar). I also use a wood grenade as my wedge to split big rounds down first.

Carbon_Liberator said:
I've tried splitting wood with my chainsaw, but I found the handle isn't long enough to get a good swing.

Bing bing! :) LOL

None of the above. I use 20 tons.

firefighterjake said:

I use my chainsaw for cutting . . . saws by their very defnition are used to saw . . . saw, not split.

Mauls . . . once in a while if I'm too lazy to dig out my splitter or if I want to impress my wife I'll grab some wedges or more likely my ax and start whacking some wood . . . but if I had to split all my wood by hand I doubt I would be burning wood.

this.....

if i did not get my wood for free, and if i had to split it by hand, i would never have considered buying a wood burning insert.
however with the splitting done via hydraulics, and the wood free(not only free, but the place i get it from , the guy loves it when i do as i help him clear brush in the process)
any other way is just too much work and time.

par0thead151 said:
firefighterjake said:

this.....

if i did not get my wood for free, and if i had to split it by hand, i would never have considered buying a wood burning insert.
however with the splitting done via hydraulics, and the wood free(not only free, but the place i get it from , the guy loves it when i do as i help him clear brush in the process)
any other way is just too much work and time.

I would pick E (hydro-splitter) too. I don't own even own an axe or wedge and I wouldn't waste my chains splitting logs with the chainsaws. Forget the reciprocating saw, unless you want to cut up some pallet wood. If you plan on heating with wood, I suggest looking maybe for a used hydro-splitter on Craig's list or ebay, but you should wait til the warm season when nobody else is looking to buy one. Right now they are likely going for a premium. For new ones, Tractor Supply Company seems to have decent prices. Once you start using a splitter, you will not know how you ever survived with out one.

Me, I noticed if I stare at it long enough, and give it the "evil eye" long enough, it's

still a round :-S

Then I hit it with the maul a coupla times :)

I know one guy that used to use the saw to split all of his wood ..... said it was easier to sit in the garage with the electric saw than swing an axe. last time I hauled over the splitter and we did all his supply in a few hours.

smokinjay said:
stee6043 said:

its called noodling and on 40+in. trunks it can be a life saver on hardwood

+ 1 Bro!!!

Holy crap!!!!!!

Could you imagine how much more fuel your saw would use compared to a hydro splitter
and the amount of time difference between the two??
I might as well pay the gas man double what I pay him now.

And the electric chain saw chain sharpener I have would be worth it's weight in gold
"IF" I could pay for the electric bill after pump gas, bar oil and two stroke oil, not to mention the cost of chains.

The only thing I can think of is this is some kind of propaganda from the Global Chiropractic Society
to make Gajillions of dollars in fixing broken backs from leaning over saws all day. :coolsmirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.