Splitting wood on carpet, frozen wood/ pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Had some old carpet that was to go to the dump. Laid it out & made a mud free area to split the wood on.
Some was still snow cover & froze in. Forgot how big some of the rounds were. (I call them "rollers" since they are to heavy to lift) The big stuff makes some nice splits.
You guys were right, on the thawed rounds, I could see water when the wedge went in. Still pretty wet wood. I'll get it stacked in a few days so it can dry all summer.
A few Mosquitoes stopped by, (the early ones are big, slow & dumb) they died.
Need to let the sun work on the pallets then go stack it up so it can season.
Was over 50° but the sun made it feel hot.
Had a nice view while I worked :)

100_7416.JPG
100_7418.JPG

100_7421.JPG

Attachments

• 100_7419.JPG
    100_7419.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 173
Good idea on the carpet Dave. Glad to see you're finally thawing out up there. That is a real view! A C

I have no idea how you ever get anything done with that view in the background. I would be gawking more than I would be splitting. Wow!

Reactions: n3pro
That's some smart, Alaska thinking! Nice way to get the spring splitting started.

I'm heading to Soldotna, Alaska in late July to do some s a l m o n fishing, Kenai style. Reds, humpies, kings, silvers, maybe even halibut are on the agenda. I'll be cutting/splitting/stacking the fish like cord wood, hopefully! I can't wait. I've only been north to BC and Alberta Canada, but not Alaska.:cool:

With that backdrop, it should have been red carpet ;)

Sincerely jealous,

pen

Thanks AC.

Thanks all;
I'm always looking at the Mts. Sun angle & clouds; they change. Great place to process wood . Hoping to see them with little or no snow soon.

Oregon B: Thanks; Late July should be a good time for a variety of salmon on the Kenai. Sometimes the reds are so thick, I think you could walk on them. Landing them in that current is the trick ;)

See that is exactly wht I dont live in Alaska. I wouldn't get anything done. I'd just sit there staring at the mountains. What a view!

Loving the pic of the split wood with the mountains in the background.

Going to Alaska myself this Summer . . . leaving Maine on June 25th and returning on July 4th. Hoping to maybe see some hearth.com friends while there.

I usually keep any old carpet we've pulled out of the house . . . it's quite nice to throw down a scrap on to the cold, concrete floor while working on the ATV, garden tractor, cars, etc.

yeah, that pic of the mountain range in the background is almost worth framing and putting over the mantle

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
Gotta get it squared away before the Reds, Kings, and Silvers come in!!

Love the view!

ATB,
Mike

Dave, it appears some of the snow has melted since the last pictures. Good. You'll be mudding it soon all over the place.

fwiw, I had to copy that one picture of the wood stack with the mountains in the background. Thanks Dave.

Had some old carpet that was to go to the dump. Laid it out & made a mud free area to split the wood on.
Some was still snow cover & froze in. Forgot how big some of the rounds were. (I call them "rollers" since they are to heavy to lift) The big stuff makes some nice splits.
You guys were right, on the thawed rounds, I could see water when the wedge went in. Still pretty wet wood. I'll get it stacked in a few days so it can dry all summer.
A few Mosquitoes stopped by, (the early ones are big, slow & dumb) they died.
Need to let the sun work on the pallets then go stack it up so it can season.
Was over 50° but the sun made it feel hot.
Had a nice view while I worked :)

View attachment 65629
View attachment 65631

View attachment 65633

Bogydave,
OMG!! I would pinch myself every time I stepped out the door. I saw from all the weather reports that you had it rough this winter. We have no idea!
Take care, Tim

Very cool idea Dave I think I am gonna copy that with a tarp thanks for the idea and the beautiful scenery !

Pete

Ok, just so nobody gets too carried away.....his carpet was already pulled and about to go to the dump.
Just sayin'.==c
I wouldn't need to do that outside, but it's a good idea in the shop. Most Excellent, and gooder.

I love that pic...snow, wood and stone. Those peaks are gorgeous! :cool:

We have a pretty good supply of mill felt around here. It is a really tough fabric used on the paper machines. You can see it in the following pic.

I put down a large piece of green outdoor carpet in front of the dog house to keep the mud down.

100_0340.JPG

Ok, just so nobody gets too carried away.....his carpet was already pulled and about to go to the dump.
Just sayin'.==c
I wouldn't need to do that outside, but it's a good idea in the shop. Most Excellent, and gooder.

One can never get to carried away when it comes to firewood ! The more carried away I get the more satisfied I am that I am doing things right lol !

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.