splitting wood with my big ol splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
Here is a video of me splitting a monster oak round. It must have weighed 250#. I really wished I had the verticle option on my splitter for that bad boy. The new engine pushed right through it with a little fluttering of the valve. I have a 19 gpm single vane pump so I don't have the overdrive as a 2 stage pump would. That round would probably keep my house warm for 2 days. Sorry that a tree that size had to die but now it is my duty to cremate it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8593748486933882123&pr=goog-sl

Nice video. But if you want to see Monster Oak Check out thease rounds! Like I say they warm you twice!

Attachments

• P1020553.JPG
    P1020553.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 837
wingnut said:
Nice video. But if you want to see Monster Oak Check out thease rounds! Like I say they warm you twice!

Holy Crap!!! That monster must have been 120 years old? How much wood did you get out of that tree? Looks pretty straight. Any thought of milling it before it came fire wood?

You are right the tree was over 100 years old! But as you can see by the black spots in the wood (metal spikes) It would not be good for a mill saw. But I did get about 5 cords of great burning wood . That bad boy was so big I had to split most of the big rounds into 4 pieces just to roll them into a vertical splitter. That one will definitely warm me twice!!

My splittter was built a lot like the one in the video, had a smooth push block. I took my welder and added some "pimples" to the push block, these really dig in and keep the wood from sliding off the block. A friend of mine without welding skills bolted a piece of diamond plate to his block and got the same results.

Status
Not open for further replies.