Splitting wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While growing up I split wood with my Grandfather and Great Uncle on a homemade wood splitter that was horizontal. Thing was a tank with a 2 cylinder Wisconsin. Horizontal was all it would do, so that's how it was done and never thought twice about it.

Would help another uncle on occasion with a 3 point hitch job that was horizontal, same thing. Just the way it was so that's how it was done.

When our cabin bought a wood splitter, that was run the first 2 years horizontal. Last year, we had some huge rounds to deal with and not as many helpers around as normal. With Dennis in mind, I looked at the other guy and asked if he'd ever tried using one of these things standing up. He explained that was the stupidest thing he'd ever heard and wasn't surprised that I wanted to try it ;lol

Well, after a 1/2 day running it vertical, I'll say it did take some time getting down a new routine, but I'm betting that unit will be run vertical by most of the guys from here on out and also bet a few went home and looked to see if their unit would stand on end too!

With the right strategy / routine / game plan, I do like splitting vertical better now as well when I do use a splitter at the cabin. Papa is long gone and we no longer have use of his splitter. My Uncle has kids old enough to help him now so I don't use his. For my own wood, it's done by hand since I need the exercise and have the time around the house.

pen

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yeah, I'm sure I'll be in that boat someday too. My dad bought the splitter because he can't swing a maul anymore.

I'll be there someday too I'm sure,but am doing fine so far.Dont overdo & take more breaks now.Will be 50 this fall.Much easier swinging the X25 than 20lb monster maul now.For the really tough ones if 5-6 swings dont do it,the sledge/wedge usually does.I dont waste too much time or effort on them,the big Husky can break em down in 45 seconds or less.

Dennis,

I agree that whatever works for you is all that matters. Sorry to hear about the health issues, but glad to hear that you are taking them in stride (while looking for a place to sit).

What I think irritated me a while back was your insinuation that because I wanted to try a horizontal splitter with a log lift, I must not have a clue what I am doing with a vertical splitter and/or that vertical splitting is just so much more superior than horizontal. I believe each has its place. I still hate having to squat down, I hate sitting on a milk crate, and I definitely hate kneeling on my knees. Out of the three, I prefer squatting, but I still dislike it and it makes my knees and legs hurt most of the time. So, the vertical splitter is not the most ideal thing in the world for me. No idea if a horizontal is either though, but I have yet to try it. I know that a horizontal without a log lift is a no go for me. That has got to be worse on my back than the squatting is on my knees and legs. My problem is that I don't really have the luxury of stacking rounds around to let them sit until I am ready to split them and toss them into a huge pile. I generally split wherever I scrounge the wood, and lately everything has been 36"+ and heavy as hell oak.

Again, what works for one man might not work for another and I am glad you have found splitting nirvana for yourself. I am still searching for mine. However, any advice at any time is appreciated, even if I don't agree with it.

Dennis, I hope I can move as much wood when I have as many years. When I read all your posts about your health conditions (the bad back stuff) I can't believe you're still at this. I dropped and brought home two cords this weekend, and everytime I was a little sore or tired or wantin to quit I thought about sittin in those piles of rounds on the crate just knocking it out. Keep doin' your thing. :)

And thanks again for sharing all of your wisdoms so freely and kindly. You're like having a virtual firewood grandpa. ==c

I could not help but notice many posts lately attempting to slam my method of splitting wood; mainly the sitting and splitting vertical.
I must have missed those. Who are these slammers? Perhaps I'll pay their stacks a visit in the dead of night, with a jar of termites in my hand. ;lol
Nice pics, especially the one where the leaves are filling out and the wood is already stacked. That is my goal this year for dead-standing Ash, and some soft Maple. The only difference will be that your stacks are no doubt for years down the road, mine are to be burned by someone this fall, or hopefully winter, depending on how much wood they have left over this season. :oops:
I made an out feed table which is great. Everything stays on it until I throw it off.
Been thinking about doing this. Have it lined out like Dennis does, rounds near the stacking area. Then have the lever operator stack the splits on the out-feed table. When there's an armload, I'd scoop it up and drop it on the stack. It would save me from throwing it down and picking it up again. A lot of my stuff is already split small enough to lift, so that I could get it in the quad trailer.
Thought every one split vertical , well those that want their wood to season fast.
Vertical lets the water run out the ends LOL :)
OK, now what we need you to do is figure out a way that we can stack vertically; Maybe we will finally be able to get this blasted Red Oak dry before we just have to go ahead and put it in our will... ;lol

Line'em up on the incline, sit down and let'em come to ya.

big pine.jpg

Dennis,

I agree that whatever works for you is all that matters. Sorry to hear about the health issues, but glad to hear that you are taking them in stride (while looking for a place to sit).

What I think irritated me a while back was your insinuation that because I wanted to try a horizontal splitter with a log lift, I must not have a clue what I am doing with a vertical splitter and/or that vertical splitting is just so much more superior than horizontal. I believe each has its place. I still hate having to squat down, I hate sitting on a milk crate, and I definitely hate kneeling on my knees. Out of the three, I prefer squatting, but I still dislike it and it makes my knees and legs hurt most of the time. So, the vertical splitter is not the most ideal thing in the world for me. No idea if a horizontal is either though, but I have yet to try it. I know that a horizontal without a log lift is a no go for me. That has got to be worse on my back than the squatting is on my knees and legs. My problem is that I don't really have the luxury of stacking rounds around to let them sit until I am ready to split them and toss them into a huge pile. I generally split wherever I scrounge the wood, and lately everything has been 36"+ and heavy as hell oak.

Again, what works for one man might not work for another and I am glad you have found splitting nirvana for yourself. I am still searching for mine. However, any advice at any time is appreciated, even if I don't agree with it.

My most humble apology to you my friend. I no doubt put some ideas down wrong and am sorry for that. I'm thinking perhaps it may have been the idea of the log lifter and the added cost. For some this will work and for others they have to wonder if that added cost is worth spending those hard earned dollars. Either way, I worded it wrongly and apologize. I really try to not run people down; even those I had a bit of dislike for. There have been a few exceptions; after all, we are all human. But I will assure you I meant no hard feelings.

Dennis, I hope I can move as much wood when I have as many years. When I read all your posts about your health conditions (the bad back stuff) I can't believe you're still at this. I dropped and brought home two cords this weekend, and everytime I was a little sore or tired or wantin to quit I thought about sittin in those piles of rounds on the crate just knocking it out. Keep doin' your thing. :)

And thanks again for sharing all of your wisdoms so freely and kindly. You're like having a virtual firewood grandpa. ==c

Thanks Redlegs. I almost posted to Thistle. He is 50 years old now and it probably won't be long before he is ready to go back to hydraulics. I'm a couple decades older than he is but can assure you that neither I nor our wood is older than dirt!

My wife and I laugh sometimes about the work. We were cutting up an oak this winter and she suddenly started laughing. Wondering how many women would be doing what she was doing that day. Those oak logs can get pretty heavy! Then we also considered our age as we've both been on SS for quite some time now. But we still keep on putting up wood and enjoying it. Does it make us hurt. For sure it does! But we'll continue as long as we are able.

It really depends on where your back is injured. For me, it would be hell to split wood at my feet vs at my waist. I'd be shaking like a dog trying to chit a peach pit after a few mins!

. we will be renting a splitter we can use vertically. Sure seems like a back saver to me.

Reactions: TimJ
Hey guys, all the talk about all our wood got me to thinking. The other day I was cutting some wood and naturally, this time of the year you can see through the woods nicely. You have no idea how much joy I got every time I brought a load of wood out to the splitting pile. If I can, I'll try to get a picture in the next few days of what I'm talking about. I think you'll enjoy it. For sure I'll get some pictures of the splitting pile before and after.

Thanks guys for all the positive remarks. You are a great bunch! Even Eileen is great! ;)

Hey Dennis, nice post. Trust me, I totally get how much you enjoy bringing those loads out! I suspect many on here do as well. Can't wait to see tose pics!

And about the original post and great pics... I have never done much splitting vertically, my back just gets too tired standing and working in place like that.. Like some others have pointed out I tend to use a bucked round for a seat, but sitting sure saves the back for me. To each his own. And BTW, nice stacks of ash!

Thanks Redlegs. I almost posted to Thistle. He is 50 years old now and it probably won't be long before he is ready to go back to hydraulics. I'm a couple decades older than he is but can assure you that neither I nor our wood is older than dirt!

My wife and I laugh sometimes about the work. We were cutting up an oak this winter and she suddenly started laughing. Wondering how many women would be doing what she was doing that day. Those oak logs can get pretty heavy! Then we also considered our age as we've both been on SS for quite some time now. But we still keep on putting up wood and enjoying it. Does it make us hurt. For sure it does! But we'll continue as long as we are able.

You have to wonder how many men would do it. So MANY people complain about their money issues, but still pay for heat when they could be out there scrounging. They could be doing other things too to make ends meet or get ahead. Just came from a client/friend and we were talking about how each generation seems lazier and lazier. She is 60, single, and heats with wood. She gets what she can, and buys what else she needs. The neighbors have told her she is out of her mind.

I just lit up my furnace right now. Going to be toasty warm in here in a couple minutes.

My wife and I laugh sometimes about the work. We were cutting up an oak this winter and she suddenly started laughing. Wondering how many women would be doing what she was doing that day. Those oak logs can get pretty heavy!​

Ain't love grand?? ;)

You have to wonder how many men would do it. So MANY people complain about their money issues, but still pay for heat when they could be out there scrounging. They could be doing other things too to make ends meet or get ahead.

And then they shell out a fair number of bucks to go to the gym to get exercise. The thought of paying for exercise always makes me laugh.

Dennis it's a to each his own sort of thing, you find what works for you and roll with it.
Any and all milkcrate jokes on my end are just ballbustin:)
For me, having a L5-S1 herniation makes it hard to sit hunched over therefore standing and the big round roller work for me.

If they made milkcrates for 6'4" guys with bad lower backs I might reconsider;)

My demon lives at S3... sitting splitting a chord is not an option... besides... my wife won't let me near the splitter.... she says to me "You cut.... I split"

Reactions: tfdchief
And there once was a time I took way too much anti-inflamatory medicine. It almost killed me. Then we found Vioxx. Great stuff! Sadly, they then took it off the market. Such is life. I do have to take pain medicine almost daily to get through it but I guess that is the price for all the damage. That tumble I took last fall really did not help a bit either. Still hurting from that one. Lighter saw is helping though.

Vioxx worked awesome for me.... but aparantly the FDA didn't like the stroke and heart attack risk... so now it's gone.

will try some vert splitting ,used to do it that way when splitting monster wood.I'm sort of opposite of you I can't sit with bent back.

I like the No carry stacking concept .Will see if I can get that to work for me ( I handle my wood WWWay too much )

Cheers

Dennis it's a to each his own sort of thing, you find what works for you and roll with it.
Any and all milkcrate jokes on my end are just ballbustin:)
For me, having a L5-S1 herniation makes it hard to sit hunched over therefore standing and the big round roller work for me.

If they made milkcrates for 6'4" guys with bad lower backs I might reconsider;)

Hey I resemble that remark!

But it puzzles me , would the crate be taller or shorter

Cheers, For as long as we all can

Hey I resemble that remark!

But it puzzles me , would the crate be taller or shorter

Cheers, For as long as we all can
I can sit on a tall bucket - the 100lb(15gal??) chlorine buckets are so-so comfy.
then you'd be stooped further over.
I'd have to settle for my knee pads, yet another joint that's falling apart:(

Dennis, I think Jake is on his cruise.
As to the splitting, I just did a few rounds of Spruce that I recently cut, and after about 1/2 hour had to stop. Horizontal.
Last year while working on a large white pine, I did almost all of it vertical. Still, that hurt my back AND my knees. Just not as flexible or as strong as I once may have been in my own mind.;)
It still gets done.
Was at some friends house Sunday and the wife was saying that if hubby goes before her, the wood stove will be gone the next day. She wants no part of the whole thing and think he works too hard at it.>>

Was at some friends house Sunday and the wife was saying that if hubby goes before her, the wood stove will be gone the next day. She wants no part of the whole thing and think he works too hard at it.>>

my wife would be firing up my saw....

Reactions: basod
I can sit on a tall bucket - the 100lb(15gal??) chlorine buckets are so-so comfy.
then you'd be stooped further over.
I'd have to settle for my knee pads, yet another joint that's falling apart:(

What was life like before knee pads? Ok for me to do one day only .Then rigamortis sets in:( ( I guess this must be the pain smiley )

Line'em up on the incline, sit down and let'em come to ya.

View attachment 94254

Of course....great idea!
Have 2 nice oaks bucked up now on a slope in the woods, uphill from a flat spot where i can fit the splitter.

I'll probably find a way to make it look like the candy factory bit from "I Love Lucy" though.

Status
Not open for further replies.