1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Splitting wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Backwoods Savage, Feb 17, 2013.

1. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    You guys obviously have never been in Central Illinois ;lol

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I moved the processing area after splitting hundreds of rounds off of that slope. Man I sure miss it now.
  3. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I am from West Texas. Not only no slopes, no trees either. I drove a hundred miles round trip for a load of wood more than once.
    chvymn99 and tfdchief like this.
  4. Bret Chase

Bret Chase Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    oh man.... I've got probably 500 hardwood trees within a 100 yard radius of my house
  5. albert1029

albert1029 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwestern PA
    soon I'll wonder IF I can continue on without one...
    tfdchief likes this.
  6. Bret Chase

Bret Chase Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    I can certainly split faster with a maul than I can with my hydro.... but my hydro will not tire out... ever...

tortoise and the hair....
    albert1029 likes this.
  7. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Me too since 1985.
  8. andybaker

andybaker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest OH
    Hey Dennis, I'm sure it's all in good kidding around. Truth is, what ever works, works! I do both. For horizontal I have a pulp hook for grabbing the logs so I don't have to use my fingers so much. I split and throw right in the trailer. From the trailer into the wheel borrow and back to the stacks. I think we all find what works best for us and as the years pass we find new ways. When I was young they called me young and dumb. Now I know what they were talking about. Sometimes more brain power is better than muscle power. Keep up the good work Dennis. Your always one to be admired.
  9. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

It all depends on your individual working conditions. What your body will and will not allow. Where the wood is to begin with and where you need it to end up. It depends on the average size of the rounds you're dealing with. It depends on the forecast. It depends on what pair of shorts you put on that day.

Sometimes I bring the wood home in rounds and split it there. If they're mostly under 16" diameter or so, I'll split it all horizontal right out the back of the truck, time permitting of course. Sometimes I need to unload the truck and get on with my day or the rounds are too big to run the splitter horizontal. Then out comes the milk crate and vertical it is. (I prefer a black milk crate BTW. Only way to go IMO. ;) :p ) Sometimes, with the luxury of help, I'll run all the small stuff across the splitter horizontal (as fast as he can feed it to me and take it away) and go vert for the bigger rounds.

I've used a horizontal only machine with an outfeed table and a log lift. IMO, it's a slam dunk especially if you deal with big, heavy rounds often. (and who among us does not? ;hm ) But Dennis is right that it certainly is a much more costly machine to own. and vertical is certainly workable for all but the most unruly rounds.

Those that talk trash about running a splitter vertically haven't figured out how to do it efficiently and the same is true for those who talk smack about horizontal splitting. ;)

The secret to Zen splitting is understanding both processes and using that enlightenment to your best advantage.

Confucius say: "Split whatever way makes you happy."
  10. nate379

nate379 Guest

[quote="PapaDave, post: 1383245, member: 442
    Was at some friends house Sunday and the wife was saying that if hubby goes before her, the wood stove will be gone the next day. She wants no part of the whole thing and think he works too hard at it.>>[/quote]

Don't blame her one bit! My folks are in their 50s and the labor needed to process wood was becoming tough for them. Mom has a bad back and Dad needs a hip.
  11. jdinspector

jdinspector Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern IL
    you may have hardwood trees, but he can reach out his window and grab a handful of beef! betcha can't do that!
  12. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Hehheh . . . nope . . . Jake was away . . . working on his tan. :)

Dennis and I often joke with each other . . . I still prefer horizontal splitting and he likes vertical splitting. We ride each other about each other's splitting preference . . . but the truth is . . . go with what works for you . . . there is no right or wrong way . . . well maybe splitting diagonally.
    tfdchief likes this.