Splitting wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Got the splitter going again and split wood for a couple hours. No picture, but have to tell you that one time I looked to my right and sure enough, 4 deer came out of the woods. They paid no attention to me at all. They were probably 50 yards from where I was splitting. Later when I came to the house (on the atv) the deer were just standing around watching me. Just one more good reason we like living in the woods out in the country. ;)

Till they decide that your tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, etc taste better than whatever is growing in the woods <>

I keep having to chase moose off, they are gobbling up my $100/tree maples I planted last year.

Got the splitter going again and split wood for a couple hours. No picture, but have to tell you that one time I looked to my right and sure enough, 4 deer came out of the woods. They paid no attention to me at all. They were probably 50 yards from where I was splitting. Later when I came to the house (on the atv) the deer were just standing around watching me. Just one more good reason we like living in the woods out in the country. ;)

I agree zap. Sometimes I think there is something in the sound of the saw. Of course there is the claim, and rightly so, of cutters in the north country where deer aren't so plentiful and they quickly associate the sound of the saw with the taste of the new food source. But here, they have plenty to eat. Still, many times while cutting we look around and see deer just standing and staring. We like it too.

Till they decide that your tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, etc taste better than whatever is growing in the woods <>

I keep having to chase moose off, they are gobbling up my $100/tree maples I planted last year.

That is why we have fences.

The deer here are nothing more than shrub eating hooved rats. They are way over populated. No hunting so their only enemy is car bumpers. They have no fear of you, they will stand 20 feet away and look at you. On what little land that is still undeveloped they have completely stripped all of the undergrowth. It is virtually impossible for a sapling to survive. All that can grow is barberry and burning bush. True it is nice to see one once in a while, but a constant parade of them eating everything is too much.

I rant.

Splitting wood and seeing deer - that's what I call a good day!

And after being up in Maine last year and seeing some moose up close, I don't know what kind of fence could keep them out if they really wanted to get in somewhere. Those suckers are HUGE!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Most of the time after I finish cutting in an area for the day within a few minutes at least 1 deer is checking out where I just was earlier.Even after only 30 minutes of work some times.They follow me all around,like to hang out just inside of north property fence in neighbor's 10 acre woodlot.Watching me at the processing/splitting/stacking area.

The deer here are nothing more than shrub eating hooved rats. They are way over populated. No hunting so their only enemy is car bumpers. They have no fear of you, they will stand 20 feet away and look at you. On what little land that is still undeveloped they have completely stripped all of the undergrowth. It is virtually impossible for a sapling to survive. All that can grow is barberry and burning bush. True it is nice to see one once in a while, but a constant parade of them eating everything is too much.

I rant.

In NJ that is certainly truth. They really need to extend the hunting season there. The deer population where I used to live was out of control.

It's being able to enjoy the small things that makes living in the country special.
Some can, & understand ;)

Some live there & never feel it, let alone see it.

In NJ that is certainly truth. They really need to extend the hunting season there. The deer population where I used to live was out of control.
NJ probably has the longest season in the country. Unlimited harvest numbers for each hunter. You can shoot 2 does at a time, call in the kills and take 2 more, and 2 more etc. Population is down from 20 years ago. Hunting starts in early September and goes until late February. Not much more could be thrown at them.

I agree zap. Sometimes I think there is something in the sound of the saw. Of course there is the claim, and rightly so, of cutters in the north country where deer aren't so plentiful and they quickly associate the sound of the saw with the taste of the new food source. But here, they have plenty to eat. Still, many times while cutting we look around and see deer just standing and staring. We like it too.
BS- The camp owner where I used to go in Northern Maine swore by the 2-stroke magnet. He dropped a guy in a stand one day and ran the snowmobile around him in a 1/4 mile circle. Guess who saw deer that day? Somewhat similar on Anticosta Island is the dinner bell theory. Hunters routinely report having bears confront them as they clean the deer they just shot. Seems the bears know that a shot will mean a fresh carcass. Pavlovs theory in the wild.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
NJ probably has the longest season in the country. Unlimited harvest numbers for each hunter. You can shoot 2 does at a time, call in the kills and take 2 more, and 2 more etc. Population is down from 20 years ago. Hunting starts in early September and goes until late February. Not much more could be thrown at them.

Maybe overall, but if you live in an area where there is no hunting it is quite the other way around. The deer population is way up in areas where they are not harvested and they are just destroying the place.

Same for a rifle shot on Kodiak during deer season.
Gun shot is the diner bell.
Shoot a deer, gut & get it out quick, a grizzly is coming :)

Interesting deer hunt on Kodiak:
"After a few minutes I concluded that retreat was the only option. The score was now grizzlies two and Fletchers zero."
Read story

That wasn't the case when I hunted there in the early 90s. I only bow hunted, but recall shotgun season only being a week or two. Glad to hear they changed it. Anyone of school age used to have to cut school to hunt

It's being able to enjoy the small things that makes living in the country special.
Some can, & understand ;)

Some live there & never feel it, let alone see it.

Is that something like not being able to see the forest because of all the trees in the way? ;lol

I used to hunt with an old timer who said he knew guys who would take a chainsaw to their stand. It works! Also, a small smokey fire would bring the deer running in. The theory was the deer wanted to see if their neck of the woods was in danger. This guy would also put on Old Spice as an attractant/cover scent. He shot an awful lot of deer.

Al, I've heard the same thing from a few folks. On the old spice, I once read a magazine article and it seems someone wanted to keep deer away from some other hunter so he put out all sorts of after-shave and deodorant. To his dismay, it worked the opposite of what he intended. ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.