Splitting wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hearthon

Dec 6, 2019
hearthon
Hey everyone, a friend of mine is cutting down a tree today and going to drop it off at my house. I just bought a 9 ton electric log splitter and was wondering should I let the tree dry out first for a little or split it right away?

I'm wondering what you guys all do? I'm not sure what type of tree it is.

Reactions: patrickk222
Most types of wood split easier when they are still green. The drying clock starts once it's split and stacked off the ground and protected from rain.

Hey everyone, a friend of mine is cutting down a tree today and going to drop it off at my house. I just bought a 9 ton electric log splitter and was wondering should I let the tree dry out first for a little or split it right away?

I'm wondering what you guys all do? I'm not sure what type of tree it is.
Should really know what species it is before it gets dropped off. If its in the northeast its probably ash.

I am splitting an ash right now, with a 7 ton electric splitter. I have been taking my time with this tree. As the ash dries it is twice as hard to split as when green.

Reactions: spuldup
The only reason to wait is in the late fall when freezing conditions migh be coming soon. IMHO frozen wood can sometimes split easier.

Reactions: Osage
For me if i'm feelin good rnough for cuttin n splittin i'll usually just cut up a bunch of blocks and toss it into a general area until i get sick of lookin at it and when i buy wood in block form i split it up right away and toss the splits up into an area until one of my drying areas opens up