Splitting Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Got Wood

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
Dutchess Cty, NY
How do you split your wood? Have you found any cheap ideas that work well?

Maul and ibuprofen

^^ Yep. This assumes you already have a chainsaw or that you're getting the rounds delivered or something. Split, stack, dry, burn and enjoy.

Got Wood said:
How do you split your wood? Have you found any cheap ideas that work well?

I found an electric (120v) wood splitter at my local co-op store for $300. Heck of a lot better than the $1000-2000 gas fired models I've seend. I've been shocked at how well it works and it makes kindling really nice. I still prefer to use my 8lb maul if I want a work out but in the spring and fall I use the electric splitter to break up my stuff into small pieces for the small fires.

I bought a splitting tool at Home Depot that is a little like an ax and a little like a maul. It's made by Luddell and is the best splitting tool I have ever used or seen. The price is 31 dollars and worth it at twice the price. If I have a round that I cannot split with three wacks I use a chainsaw with a ripping chain. Some of the wood I split is 30inches across

Just a maul for the big stuff, axe for smaller. I get my wood in waves, not all at once. And I'm too cheap to drop a grand or more on a splitter.

I asked the original question to see if any ideas came up that I wasnt aware of. I used a maul yesterday to split about 1/2 cord and the handle cracked (I have it it for a few years). Before heading out to replace I thought I'd ask. Will replace anyhow but it got me wondering....
I would love a gas splitter but have a hard time spending the money... I have my eyes out for a deal. Until then its manual.

We have a splitter for which the man of the house lobbied long and hard. I was skeptical, thinking it was a "guy thing", but it turned out to be a great purchase. I am no shrinking violet when it comes to robust physical activity, but let's just say a splitting maul and wedges wouldn't appear on my short list of amusing recreational activities. I would definitely rent one if you have a lot of wood to split!

Using the splitter last summer, the husband and I were able to split and stack the best part of 5 cord of wood over a week's vacation. We worked 3-4 hrs./day and it was far from torturous. We have perhaps one/two cord in rounds left to go. This is wood for next season (and then some) and/or future sale.

Got Wood said:
I asked the original question to see if any ideas came up that I wasnt aware of. I used a maul yesterday to split about 1/2 cord and the handle cracked (I have it it for a few years). Before heading out to replace I thought I'd ask. Will replace anyhow but it got me wondering....
I would love a gas splitter but have a hard time spending the money... I have my eyes out for a deal. Until then its manual.

The only time I think about spending the money on a splitter is when I have a bunch of elm to split. Last time, a neighbor took pity on me and
volunteered to split "any really bad pieces" I have. So I throw those aside for his pile. Another idea is to go in on a splitter with several other
people/families. I have a couple of guys interested, but they haven't purchased their stoves yet, so it may be awhile until that comes to fruition.
The neighbor has told me that when he moves to a condo, I can buy his splitter at a reasonable price. He doesn't like to loan his splitter,
preferring to come over and do the splitting himself (for free). I can totally understand that since some of the pieces I set aside for him
put some strain on the splitter. He gets paid back in homebrew.

Work on your maul swing. For the really big rounds you're going to need some speed and power. I use to swing the maul over my head for the really big pieces but found a better swing last year. It's kind of hard to explain but I get much greater power by swinging the maul in a circle over my right shoulder as opposed to over my head. I guess a left handed person would swing over their left shoulder. If you need an example watch the movie "There Will be Blood" and see how Daniel Day-Lewis swings his pick axe while digging in a mine. If the wood is really twisted or has big knots, you better get the chain saw out.

Bought this from Harbor Freight a couple of years ago. I think I spent under $200. Works the nuts!!!

39981.gif

anyone who splits by hand anymore and is a 24/7 6 months a year burner is crazy to d oso without a wood splitter in my opinion

I stare at the log intently, until I can feel it yielding, then with a quick motion, I point my right pointer finger and add a scowl to my face and it just falls into pieces. It is still exhausting work, but I trade my backache for a headache, which I find goes away after a couple of beers.

If that don't work, I crank up the hydraulic splitter.

mtarbert said:
I bought a splitting tool at Home Depot that is a little like an ax and a little like a maul. It's made by Luddell and is the best splitting tool I have ever used or seen. The price is 31 dollars and worth it at twice the price. If I have a round that I cannot split with three wacks I use a chainsaw with a ripping chain. Some of the wood I split is 30inches across

Got the same one. 8lb maul, but has looks like an ax with "wings" that push the split apart after the initial contact of the ax face.

telekinesis!!!! wow!! Jags i wish you turned me on to this brilliant ability before i spent $1200 on a splitter. :mad:
but seriously. when i fell a tree i set up a series of blades and wedges where i've calculated the spot on which the tree will drop. as soon as it hits the ground it breaks up in 1000 or more perfect 16 inch splits. plus i cut some ventilation holes in my truck so the wood is always perfectly seasoned by the time i get home.

Custerstove said:
Work on your maul swing. For the really big rounds you're going to need some speed and power. I use to swing the maul over my head for the really big pieces but found a better swing last year. It's kind of hard to explain but I get much greater power by swinging the maul in a circle over my right shoulder as opposed to over my head. I guess a left handed person would swing over their left shoulder. If you need an example watch the movie "There Will be Blood" and see how Daniel Day-Lewis swings his pick axe while digging in a mine. If the wood is really twisted or has big knots, you better get the chain saw out.

Yes. I've found that if I use this method and actually project myself into the air (a controlled jump), that I can get through all but the narliest pieces.

Adirondackwoodburner said:
anyone who splits by hand anymore and is a 24/7 6 months a year burner is crazy to d oso without a wood splitter in my opinion

So...your saying I'm crazy?

I think anyone who dinks around with a little 357 to saw there wood is crazy...;-)

I've done the maul/sledge and wedge thing, and I still do. But I picked up a 5 ton electric splitter from Grossmans for a little over $200 a few years ago and it doesn't owe me a dime. It handles 90%+ of the wood I throw at it. Since Christmas I've thrown a cord of oak and maple each at it. I'm about ready to throw another one of maple. Then 2 pine trees and another maple are going at it. It would be nice to have a gas powered splitter, maybe when this one wears out I'll upgrade. Right now I'm happy with this one. Today it gave me the first signs that I should add some hydraulic fluid to it.

Matt

Adirondackwoodburner said:
I'll 2nd that your body will thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.