splitting wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

closedknuckle

May 14, 2009
midwest
Instead of splitting wood, couldn't I just wafer cut, or slab cut each pice? Not sure what word to use to describe it, I do not mean cutting it lengthwise, but say in 6 inch thicknesses, cut in normal diresction?
thanks for all responses

An interesting idea...........

I suppose as long as they were not so big in diameter that they didn't fit in your stove, and you were able to stagger them..........

I don't think I'd want them any thicker than a couple inches, max........

and of course they'd have to be seasoned hardwood.

-Soupy1957

Attachments

• Stack.jpg
    Stack.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 413
Sure you could. Thats a lot of work. Hard on the tool, and user. How would you season the cuts. Flat cuts leave no room for air movement when stacked on top of each other. If you build a bookcase device that you could individually stand each piece on its side with a fraction of airflow around it, That would work.

So you are saying like making unsplit 6 inch thick pucks ??? I guess you could and they would work but I would think, and there are those who will chime in with more experience than I , but I think you would out gas them rapidly in that form and have extremely high temps and shorter burns. I may be wrong. Also, I think you would be setting up a TON more work cutting a 18 inch log into 6 inch pucks, and a lot more waste product. I don't see why it wouldnt work but it would certainly not be something I would want to do personally.

Think about how much wood would be wasted with that much cutting! and chains and time and saw life? heck, with that much saw chips you could make your own enviro type logs!

Do you mean cutting rounds etc. into blocks with a chainsaw? You'd lose a small but noticeable amount of wood to sawdust that way, plus not sure how you'd hold the wood safely in position.

Or do you mean to cut it on a bandsaw or portable saw mill?

Hello, as far as seasoning in the pile, I either mix them with stacked smaller rounds, or on there side, so that there is some airflow, nut not piled up on top of each other.

I am suggesting cutting into puck shaped pieces, say 18 inch diamter, that is too big, burns too long for me, I over heat, If it spplits easily, then i split it, but lets say it is knotty, then Just cut 6 inch pucks, ususally a four hour burn and it is pretty hot in here already, cAN only add one log at a time. I have a n oversize unit for the job to be done. Have no splitter, and only get so many of these unsplittable chunks, just thought it would be a quick way to make them burnable

I knock them down and fill the firebox kind of like a pellet stove. If you leave them in 18", they will be a PIA to get in the firebox. I get a lot of them, so it keeps the house warm almost a third of the heating season.

Attachments

• load of pellets.jpg
    load of pellets.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 410
That's a lot of sawdust on the ground, heat, too.
But I've done it, although didn't have much luck finding someone to hold a round for the last two pucks. :)
They dry out and break easily, which is OK, too.

I give mine away to my brother who has a splitter.
I've got better things to do with my time than deal with what I call rejects.

I've come home and found the pile of rejects gone and I've dropped them off into his yard.

Anything his splitter won't split he tosses in a backyard fire in the Summer, although with his last one graduating from college last year they've been having fewer pit fires.

Pineburner said:
Think about how much wood would be wasted with that much cutting! and chains and time and saw life? heck, with that much saw chips you could make your own enviro type logs!

Why not go all the way, and get your own small pellet mill to convert the mountain of chips back into fuel? Highest and best use.

Solar and wood
What do you mean by knock them down?

Billb3
I cut them on the back of a flat bed truck that I use for a cutting table, they do not move around so i do not need someone to hold them.

The cookies I get are usually the big stuff at the bottom of the tree. The tree guys cut cookies so that their guys can move it out of the way. I then split these into say 6x6x6 chunks as shoving a 30" diameter cookie into the stove wouldn't work so well. 6x6x6 chunks seem to work pretty well in my stove.

closedknuckle said:
Instead of splitting wood, couldn't I just wafer cut, or slab cut each pice? Not sure what word to use to describe it, I do not mean cutting it lengthwise, but say in 6 inch thicknesses, cut in normal diresction?
thanks for all responses

Of course you can, but I have no idea why you would want to. Perhaps you can explain.

Closed knuckle is simply replacing swings of the axe with chain saw throttle open time - should work fine.

Or he's subbing saw time for power splitter cycles, may equal out as far as noise and fuel use.

It's all wood and it all burns.

Go for it.

and further more,

If the wafer thickness is less than the stove door height and the wafer fits ( and is well seasoned) it's a perfect pack out for a long burn.

If the wafer is two wide or deep it should split down to size easily at a < 9in thickness.

I've got a few pieces that burn like that.

I cut cookies.. Is what I call them.. When testing a saw set-up to make sure its right....They season very quickly and great to use on very cold days to spike the fire.

SolarAndWood said:
I knock them down and fill the firebox kind of like a pellet stove. If you leave them in 18", they will be a PIA to get in the firebox. I get a lot of them, so it keeps the house warm almost a third of the heating season.
looks like my stove did you steal that pic from me. lol gotta love the uglies. i love them for this time of year. havent even touched my good wood yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.